*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/882992-The-Magical-Afghan
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing.Com · #1806613
The Saga of Prosperous Snow Continues
#882992 added May 25, 2016 at 12:08pm
Restrictions: None
The Magical Afghan
Wednesday, May 25, 2016

“And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.”
Roald Dahl

The "Blogging Circle of Friends prompt for Day 1288
The afghan you just finished crocheting turns magical and wraps itself around you. Wrote a story or poem about what happens.

Maybe it happened because I still believed in magic. I'm not sure how or why it happened. I just know that it happened and it changed my entire life. I suppose I should start at the beginning when I decided to over come the phobia I had of crocheting. I wasn't afraid of created by crocheting, rather I was afraid to try that form of needle work myself. Anyway, after Aunt Ida passed on I received all of her crocheting needle and yarn. In stead of giving it away or selling it, I decided I would learn to use it. One of Aunt Ida's favorite sayings was "When you face your fears head on something magical happens and you over come your fear."

I logged into YouTube, watched several videos on How to Crochet, and practiced while I was watching the videos. Then I decided the first project I would attempt was creating an afghan. I know what you're thinking because I thought the same thing when I first decided to create the afghan, but I took my fear by the crochet needles and begin crocheting the afghan. While I was working on the item, I talked to Aunt Ida's ashes that were sitting on my mantle. You see, I'd promised her I would scatter her ashes over the Pacific Ocean, while I was hang gliding.

Hang gliding was the last item on Aunt Ida's bucket list. She had planned to go hang gliding a week after she got out of the hospital. Unfortunately, she never left the hospital alive. So as the only one of her heirs she trusted to carryout her last wishes it became my duty to go hang gliding and scatter her ashes.

Getting back to the afghan, I decided that before I could go hang gliding over the Pacific that I had to begin facing some of my fears and phobias. I even made a bucket list of the fears I wanted to overcome with crocheting as the first item on that list. I finished the afghan and one second after its completion then thing magically wrapped itself around me. Next it transported me to the crest of Mount Sagarmāthā.1 This was the second item on my bucket list. After I looked down on the world from this crest then the afghan transported me back to my home.

Footnotes
1  The Napal name for Mount Everest. In Tibet this mountain is known as Mount Chomolungma.


© Copyright 2016 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/882992-The-Magical-Afghan