*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/883624-The-Radio-Blasting
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#883624 added June 2, 2016 at 3:28pm
Restrictions: None
The Radio Blasting
         My dad is an old man who is hard of hearing. Without TV, he's blasting radio. He can read and concentrate like that for hours. I can work on the computer in the room next to it, but I can't read in the same room.

         When the music is loud like that, it's not background noise. It's the focus. I tried to read. I had to keep putting the book down to listen to the words. Some were sad stories, some were poetry, some were funny. I can't do two things at once. It's a classic country station, so lots of love stories and sad stories.

         My personal feelings are that music is usually too loud in stores. Studies have shown that music keeps crowds moving, in stores, festivals, fairs, and keeps them spending money. That's why they all have fast or lively music as opposed to restful or slow music. I get annoyed at lyrics or the mood of the music. I am aware they're trying to manipulate me.

         At the mall where I go, they've changed the usual station they buy (some Sirius alternative), to a new one in which you don't recognize any performer or tune. It's like a cheaper version of the standard fare. It's G rated, but obnoxious. It gets on my nerves so badly, I just want to leave there.

         I put down my book, and I'm back at my PC. I'm dying to turn down the music, not off. (It would be okay if I were sweeping or dusting.) But I don't want to offend the old man. It's his house. I guess he's earned the right to play his music.

© Copyright 2016 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/883624-The-Radio-Blasting