*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/885471-Moving-in-a-Dream
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1718540
Day to day stuff....a memoir without order.
#885471 added June 23, 2016 at 7:42am
Restrictions: None
Moving in a Dream
Night before last I couldn't sleep. I have nights like this every once in awhile. They seem to be coming more frequently than they used to. I read in bed about an hour,I go to sleep, then in around two hours (1 o'clock), I wake up and can't go back to sleep no matter how long I lay there and try.

This time while laying there trying to go back to sleep I kept thinking about my computer room and how I might rearrange the furniture in there. In my mind I moved the desk, the bookcase, my art supplies, rearranging furniture yet keeping what's on it the same so that I don't forget where things are. This is something that gets more important to me the older I get. My brain is going berserk moving all this furniture around so....finally, at 2:30 I got up and my virtual reality became reality.

Without really thinking things through, especially about how heavy the stuff was, I started unloading everything on the bookcase first, realizing I would need to move it out of the way to get the desk over there. I didn't have to move either one very far, swapping places from one wall to the other. But it was still moving and the desk is a 3 x 5 laminated particle board...heavy. The bookcase is laminated too, a 4 footer and believe me, you couldn't squeeze one more thing on it. Somehow turning on the a/c never entered my brain.

The room has a smooth carpet so after the bookcase was empty I was able to slide and walk it to the center of the room clear of the desk. I cleared everything off the top of the desk and commenced to taking out the drawers. On a level of 1-10 my mechanical and common sense skills rate around 5. Figuring out how the drawers are removed took around 30 minutes and involved the use of a flashlight and much squinting. With all this time and effort, sweat is dripping off my chin and still I don't think of turning on the air.

Finally, I get the drawers out, the very heavy drawers. By this time emptying them is not an option, no place to put anything else. The desk is so heavy it is sunk (and seemingly stuck) into the carpet so I have to lift each end to get it loose and swing it just a teeny bit to get it out of the "hole". I realized this is how I could move it to the opposite wall, swinging to the left, alternating ends, walking it over. I'm getting tired just writing about it.

I finally got the two pieces of furniture swapped and in place. The desk drawers went back in much easier than they came out. I put all the "stuff" back on the bookcase exactly as it had been, rearranged the desktop "stuff" a little, and collapsed into my computer chair around 5:30. At that point I remembered the a/c and turned it on.

Why is it while a person is lying in bed "dreaming", she thinks she can do anything? Yet, during the day everything seems monumental and impossible, or maybe I'm the only one who thinks this way. Well, I rearranged the furniture, it looks great (I think) but I still can't believe I did it. I would never have attempted it in the daytime. And, consequently, yesterday I slept most of it.

until next time...c

© Copyright 2016 Have a sunshiny day! (UN: biddle.connie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Have a sunshiny day! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/885471-Moving-in-a-Dream