*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/886308-USA-Rocks
Rated: 18+ · Book · Opinion · #2086593
Daily scribbles on writing and living. How to get rid of cobwebs in my brain. CLOSED.
#886308 added July 3, 2016 at 2:58am
Restrictions: None
USA Rocks!
Day three of "30-Day Blogging Challenge ON HIATUS [13+]

The Sunday News!
Washington, DC is reviving a campaign to become the 51st state in the union and if successful the area's name could be changed to New Columbia. It's important to note that DC was established to exist outside of the borders of any state in an effort to not favor the Capitol's home state over any other in the country. Should the government allow DC to become a state or function like one? And if you do not reside in the US, but your nation's capital city is within a particular area of the country, do you see that as being a detriment or an advantage to where you live?

In my country we have Amsterdam as the nation’s capitol and The Hague, where I live, as the political capital since our Dutch government is residing there. There is no detriment or an advantage as far as I can see it. It’s a non-issue here.



I really can’t see the problem for Washington, only advantages. I think residents of the capitol should have a vote in congress. That’s their democratic right. It then can also tax the non-residents who work in the city, something apparently lacking at the moment. During the workweek, the number of commuters from the suburbs into the city swells the District's population by an estimated 71.8%, to a daytime population of over one million people. Furthermore it then will have extra income from the government to fund various social welfare programs, education, and transportation costs.

Maybe one disadvantage, when becoming a state it won’t be as flexible in how to run projects and services as it is now. There will be a huge governmental apparatus put in place with all the cluttering that comes with it.

As an outsider let me recap the nations states: ** Image ID #2089154 Unavailable ** I love this country, have visited twice and am totally mesmerized by its nature, its people and its possibilities. I would love to have an extra state. More America to hold dear. USA Rocks! *SuitHeart*

© Copyright 2016 WakeUpAndLive️~🚬🚭2024 (UN: wiesblaize at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
WakeUpAndLive️~🚬🚭2024 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/886308-USA-Rocks