*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/889358-Critters-and-Bugs
by River
Rated: ASR · Book · Comedy · #2090787
Getting to know me.
#889358 added August 6, 2016 at 12:53pm
Restrictions: None
Critters and Bugs!
BCOF Insignia

Blogging Day 1361 - Critters
Do you have critters or a certain critter visit your yard every day? I do, and he follows the same routine every morning and evening. I call him Ollie, he is a little bird and tonight he brought a friend.



Never Underestimate the Power of the Sunflower! *FlowerY*

It all started innocently enough. One day last summer I decided to buy some sunflower seeds and put up a bird feeder hoping to attract a few birds to my patio. I also hung up suet and a hummingbird feeder. I soon had more than I bargained for. The sunflower seeds began disappearing at an alarming rate and I had to start buying in bulk.

First came the birds. There were Woodpeckers, Hummingbirds a Northern Flicker, Blue Jays, Robins, a Gray Catbird, Blackbirds,Rose Breasted Grosbeak, Chickadees, Sparrows, a pair of Mourning Doves, and my favourite, the American Goldfinch.

A lot of the birds flew south for the winter, but curiously the sunflowers continued to disappear. It turned out other critters enjoy feasting on them too! All winter I had two deer on my patio every evening, both were young males, I called them Scruffy and Peanut. Peanut was very tame and so sweet. Another night time visitor was a cute little skunk who I called Stripe. In the morning there were two gray squirrels I named Fast and Furious! There was also a black squirrel who, of course, is known as Blackie.

I can sit for hours watching all this wildlife congregating on my patio. These critters are all seriously addicted to sunflower seeds!

Update on the Bugs!
Well, the exterminator came and sprayed some horrible, poison chemical all around the building last week. One application of this insecticide is supposed to
eliminate these bugs and their larvae. *RollEyes* I have heard these little buggers called Hanneton bugs , European chafer, and Japanese beetles. They basically look like June Bugs, but much smaller and they're not native to Canada. The theory is they came here in a shipment of something from somewhere. *FacePalm*
To make a long story short, I looked outside last night and discovered that my screen was covered with the things. Like, I'm talking literally black with bugs. The males stick there all night and drop dead before sunrise. The females gleefully fly off to lay eggs in the grass and ruin lawns. Throughout the day people drag the dead bugs into the building on the soles of their shoes.

More problems!
Because it has been so hot and humid, we're now infested with Earwigs. I do not like these creepy bugs that lurk under things and in small crevices then jump out at me every time I move a plant pot or put my hand in the clothespin basket. *Screams in terror and disgust * *Shock2* They even have a pair of forceps-like pincers on their abdomen!

*Bug* *Bug* *Bug* *Bug* *Bug* *Bug* *Bug*


Another Kind of Bug.
I've had a ghastly bug for over a month. With my weakened immune system, I developed an infection, but I'm feeling better. The antibiotics are doing their job. *BigSmile*

That's it for today.
River *Heart*

© Copyright 2016 River (UN: riverbedwriter at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
River has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/889358-Critters-and-Bugs