*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/889758-Cinque-Terra---Day-11
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1966420
Theses are my thoughts and ramblings as I forge my way through this thing they call life.
#889758 added August 11, 2016 at 2:20pm
Restrictions: None
Cinque Terra - Day 11
30 Day Blogging Challenge

30-Day Blogging Challenge August 2016.

August 11 - Italy, in all its beauty!
I have to laugh at some of the ladies who are struggling with the 7 am start time on this tour. Even I was a little groggy to start this morning, but I was so excited about the day, I didn't mind being up with the birds. We grabbed a quick breakfast, making sure to sample several strong cups of the coffee. Then we headed off for a full day (13 hour) adventure! I had my swimsuit, my sunblock (already on after my shower), my hat and good walking shoes (with socks). My camera was charged and ready to go.... and I had enough funds for a day of shopping if we got a chance.

Today we were exploring the Italian Riviera - the beautiful Cinque Terre from Florence.
"The Cinque Terre is one of Italy’s most captivating landscapes. Translated as β€˜five lands,’ the region is made up of five unique fishing villages that line the Italian Riviera." There are no cars!
We started in central Florence at the Santa Maria Novella train station without much time to spare. Some of us were dragging the un-morning people and plying them with morsels to get them moving. The sights revived them. We met our guide and hopped aboard an awaiting coach to head out toward the seashore. The first stop was in the southernmost village of Riomaggiore, dating back to 13th century. it is beloved for its local wine and incomparable scenery, admire the pastel-colored buildings as you follow your guide along the cobblestone streets.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=Riomaggiore&rlz=1C1KAFB_enCA573CA573&espv=2&biw=1...

https://www.google.ca/search?q=Riomaggiore&rlz=1C1KAFB_enCA573CA573&espv=2&biw=1...

Some of us took the Via Amora. A twenty minute walk to the next village.It is the tiny village of Manarola next. It is home to medieval relics and a plethora of grapevines. We strolled around the harbor and took snapshots of the beautiful, bright buildings that cling to the cliff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mol7qTI21mc

The ramps were filled with sunbathers! Not a boat in the water!
The weather is grand so we hopped aboard a boat to travel to Monterosso.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7YboqbWHlM

I opted to eat as I go, stopping to sample and savour the local faire and mingle with the residents. Some of the group came along and we had a marvelous time. I made sure to try the homemade ravioli with pesto sauce... oh to die for.... and the wine was wonderful as well. Much better than my uncle's attempts back home (my aunt married an Italian 44 years ago). He is my favourite uncle. I make sure I buy some anchovies to send home for him... and him alone! I also buy some local honey and a few lemons.

This is the best beach in the area, so of course I had to get on my suit and hit the water. Floating and swimming around in the sea soothed my walking toes and feet and legs... it was a wonderful break from all the walking. I think I saw Fivesixer splashing around in the waves as well.

I also made sure to buy some souvenirs - I bought my mother an apron. A t-shirt for me. I will have to mail my stuff home soon as I dare not want to carry it all over Europe. I made sure to buy some bottled water before the next part of our adventure.

Next, we hiked from there to Vernazza along a very cool pathway! It took 2 hours. The perfect nature hike. A few people were a little nervous of the heights and the cliff edges, but we moved slow and steady, keeping together so we didn't lose anyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0l1CzIydYc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baRJEOFQnYM

We made our final stop in Vernazza, bordered by terraced olive groves that are said to produce some of the finest olive oil in Italy. We explored the bustling square and winding streets at our leisure. I made sure to take the trail up to see the scenic view of the village. Lots of friendly cats to pet... made it so I did not mis my cats at home so much. The children were fun to watch as well... I managed to get in on one of the soccer games along the beach. Such fun! It was almost sad to have to return to to Florence, but my feet were about ready for time off.

http://www.parks.it/parco.nazionale.cinque.terre/Eindex.php


Dinner was up to us. I felt I had snacked and indulged all day... a little here, a little there, but hey, who can pass us food in Italy! Lyn recommended the Panini Toscani and I was curious to see why the place had such a line. I was happy to learn that the owner does a mini cheese and meat tasting with each guest and you can choose what goes into your sandwich. I loved this idea. He also gave us a small amount of information about each one's origin and how that make them. The sandwich was delicioso! I indulged in a little local vino as well... and my feet were so happy about that.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g187895-Florence_Tuscany.html

I was so happily tired by the time I finished dinner, I strolled back to our guesthouse, took a short swim and then collapsed for the night. Tomorrow we have to be on the train at 8 am, for a two hour ride to Venice!


© Copyright 2016 πŸ’™ Carly (UN: carly1967 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
πŸ’™ Carly has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/889758-Cinque-Terra---Day-11