*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/890138-Pretty-Prague
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#890138 added October 7, 2016 at 3:48pm
Restrictions: None
Pretty Prague
         PROMPT: Prague, Czech Republic...explore
         The four-hour train trip to Prague was amazing. The scenery was stunning. This is the way to travel with my feet up Around me was the hum of many conversations spoken in a variety of languages. Once again I am reminded of the power of a smile; no words needed.
         I barely gave the Prague Hostel a passing glance. I stayed long enough to register and drop my knapsack. There were places to explore and sights to see. After the rail ride I wanted to stretch my legs, and dazzle my eyes.
          It was an easy choice for me, I opted to partake in the Prague in one day tour. How could I resist the tag line, " see skyline of spires and turrets"? From my research, I learned that this capital city of the Czech Republic had a nickname, The City of a Hundred Spires. Apparently, no one had exaggerated. I did see several spires. They were difficult to miss. They did indeed command the cityscape.
         Via coach bus, I circled Wenceslas Square which is a bustling, teeming centre of this city. The guide pointed out the solemn statue of St. Wenceslas. Spotting 'him' caused me to start hummimg a Christmas carol with the lyrics " Good King Wenceslas last looked out on the feast of stephens", or something like that.
          I was impressed by the pedestrian bridge known as Charles Bridge. It was a work of art. Most bridges I have seen are merely utilitarian. They serve a practical purpose, and do not need to look great too. This paved stone walkway featured thirty statues of saints. I suppose they are guardians. This is better than the Billy Goats Gruff. Amazingly, this bridge was completed in 1402. Imagine the effort to create this!
          I explored the Prague Castle on foot, and I felt so tiny and insignificant in its immense shadow. This castle is more of a self-contained village. Within its massive fortified walls are several churches, palaces, St. Vitus Cathedral with a courtyard, and a cobblestone alley of cottages that once housed servants and alchemists. Whew, large doesn't begin to describe it. The front gate was beyond impressive. St. Vitus cathedral shone gold and glorious.
          Another spectacularly stunning piece of art/workmanship is the Astronomical Clock. Wow!
          Oh my gosh, Lyn has exceeded her past dinner reservations. She surprised us with a luxury dinner cruise that she further upgraded to include seats in the boat's bow. Awesome!! This became a magical voyage along the Vltava River at night. The scenery was stunning and breathtaking. All the glowing, twinkling, sparkling lights of the city and its numerous spires were reflected in the serene water.
          The dinner boat slowly drifted under the Charles Bridge, at one time known as The Stone or Prague Bridge. The gas lamps suited the air of mystery. As we passed through the arches, I snapped a picture of the 'bearded man', a sculpted head that measured the river's levels for medieval Praguers. How much fancier than a dip stick or a simple line etched on the stone.
          Dining in the bow of the bobbing boat created an intimate and exclusive ambiance. The mood was a relaxed one in which we could converse at our leisure. The background piano music was not intrusive at all. All the tempting smells wafting around me made choosing my meal difficult, but I finally sampled the ham, poached halibut, and the chocolate mousse. Supposedly, Prague boasts of having the best beer in Europe, so, of course, I had to sip some. It was pretty tasty.
          Back at the hostel, I was too wired to sleep. I opted to join one of the hosted pub crawls, although I hoped I could at least stagger. I invited SB Musing WakeUpAndLive️~🚬🚭2024 Kit } 💙 Carly apondia Fivesixer and our Lovely Lyn Lyn's a Witchy Woman to join me.

© Copyright 2016 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/890138-Pretty-Prague