*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/892298-Plants-and-Animals
Rated: E · Book · Experience · #2050107
A Journal to impart knowledge and facts
#892298 added September 15, 2016 at 2:08pm
Restrictions: None
Plants and Animals
List three random bits of useless knowledge, and tell us a little about each one...maybe they hold some specific significance to you, or it's important in your line of work, or how they relate to a particular hobby you have. Be creative and have some fun with this prompt...don't be afraid to show off a little! *Smile*

Manx Cat from Japan

1. This is from a Smithsonian magazine (do not know the issue) I picked up in the outpatient waiting room while K was getting some tests done. Elephants can communicate by making stomps on the ground. The rhythms or vibrations can be felt in the massive feet of other elephants nearby.

I have parrots and have made them a writing subject sometimes. I read a lot at one time about the communications research being done on a grey parrot in a lab at Cornell University. So, over the years I have stored some interesting tidbits about animal communication between other animals and humans. Also, read in the same magazine about an animal photographer who sets up remote cameras in the Africa wilds to gain pictures of wildlife. The man often loses his expensive equipment when the animals take exception to a flash or sound when the camera goes off and destroy the offending machine. Around here it might be a buck deer or a bear that rips the camera off the tree and shreds it for what ever reason?

2. Also read in a magazine about teaching children to work with their hands so the only thing they know is not how to push buttons on technological equipment. It may come to the point where things like knitting, wood working, painting, planting trees and vegetation or playing a musical instrument will be a necessary part of education in order to keep a balance in the way our brains work. This is knowledge which might come in handy when writing a story.

3. Herbs and plants are fascinating subjects which we cannot know enough about. Some illnesses can be avoided by eating properly. Yet the worst types of foods in the shopping areas around our country are often cheaper that than foods that taste better and are healthier. It is slowly getting better.

I have learned through reading and kindle apps many ways to use vinegar for cleaning and eating that I never heard about before. The one thing I did not know is that there are two kinds of vinegar sold in stores. The homogenized type is cheaper but will not necessarily do the best job of cleaning or kill germs as well as the natural product.

Health is all around us in the environment but, we have to hunt for the knowledge before we can find the product. Like the mint that grows on the edges of our pond wild. Or, the wild sassafras that grows naturally on our property. ( a main ingredient in root beer)

Ginseng was once a root native to Pennsylvania but due to a crazed public it has been harvested into extinction. And, now you need a permit to harvest it in Pennsylvania. This is a subject any writer can find use for as they form stories.
'
Knowledge is the spice of life. Read on! Write well!. *Tree3* *TeaO*

© Copyright 2016 Apondia (UN: judithd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Apondia has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/892298-Plants-and-Animals