*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/893530-Hurricanes-Art-and-Midwives
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1718540
Day to day stuff....a memoir without order.
#893530 added October 3, 2016 at 9:53am
Restrictions: None
Hurricanes, Art, and Midwives
As late as 6 this morning the projected path of Matthew continues to "hug" the east coast of Florida. It is getting late in the season for hurricanes but our hot weather is so inviting, reaching almost 90 everyday. It looks like we will get whatever we will get on Friday and Saturday. My daughter and 2 grandchildren live near the beach in Jacksonville which will get a lot more than I will here in Gainesville. Not looking forward to next weekend.

Our writers' booth at the art festival last weekend was a huge success. I met some of our members unknown to me before except for a name on a list and of course I had to buy a book...or 2. After my Saturday stint in the booth, I went with a friend for ice cream nearby, a place called Delites, and it was so welcome after the heat of the day.

Then we went to a panel discussion at the Matheson House on Medicine in Gainesville and Midwives. That was enlightening. The panel consisted of 5 midwives (or former midwives). Their trials and tribulations (ongoing) in an unwelcoming environment was a credit to their characters. The gist of it...which we all know...pharmaceutical companies rule the world. I've been on a Call The Midwife binge on Netflix and watched the last one last night. The thalidomide catastrophe was on my mind during the panel discussion as it had been the topic in recent episodes. What was really heart-rending was how pregnant poor and black women were treated in the past right here where I live. And I learned about the "granny" midwives, black women who had so much heart when others did not.

until next time...c

© Copyright 2016 Happy Memorial Day 2024! (UN: biddle.connie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Happy Memorial Day 2024! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/893530-Hurricanes-Art-and-Midwives