*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/894619-Day-15---Antagonist-Background-Story---Contest-2
Rated: E · Book · Romance/Love · #2098114
This follows the October Nano Prep Challenge... for part 2 of Fractured Dreams - Moving On
#894619 added October 16, 2016 at 11:15am
Restrictions: None
Day 15 - Antagonist Background Story - Contest #2
Saturday, Oct. 15
Required: Contest Round 2: Antagonist Background Story â–¼
Write a story about your antagonist that takes place outside of your novel. The object of the contest is to make your judges understand and empathize with the antagonist's motivations. If your antagonist is a situation rather than a person, write a background story about that. Add the background story to your character database (if applicable.)

*Submit your ITEM or ENTRY number by 1200 noon WDC time on Sunday, Oct. 16 to compete. WDC time is New York City time and can be found at the top of thisIM Console . If you miss this deadline or choose not to compete, you may still post your assignment completion for the grand prize, per the standard Prep guidelines.


Carson watched as his mother rallied his sisters and gave them jobs to do. It was summer and his mother was intent on getting some of the more extensive cleaning jobs done; for this she put her girls to work.

"What about Carson?" Oliva had muttered.

"He's too young." she mother had stated as she handed off the buckets and gloves, "Besides his father will put him to work later when he gets home."

"Yeah, right." Olivia grumbled just under her breath. She looked over at Carson and stuck out her tongue.

"If you want to get outside with your friends this afternoon you'll get a move on. I expect it done and I expect it done well.... Olivia."

"Yes, mother."

His oldest sister,Patty, said nothing, but she did give him a sympathetic look as if asking if he was okay. he gave her a weak smile.

It didn't matter that his leg was itchy and ragingly sore from his latest bike accident. He knew his Dad would put him to work on something in the garage and he would do it to expectation.... but the burning pain had him grinding his teeth. He had refused to tell anyone. Slinking home pushing another mangled bike, parking it at the back of the garage under a few things and escaping up to his room sight unseen to deal with the ripped pants and the bloody road rash that ran from his hip to his knee. Thankfully the marks weren't deep and he had managed to wash out all the dirt and gravel, hissing as the pain ramped up and left him weak with it. He had applied the salve and slipped back into his his room to lay out on his bed. He thanked God he was able to do this unseen, though he knew when his father saw another broken bike he would be in for another ass-wiping, ear curling lecture.

Patty had come up to get him last night for dinner. She noticed how slowly he had gotten off the bed and stopped him.
"What did you do?" she asked knowing he was hiding something.

"Nothing." he muttered.

"Don't lie to me, Carson. I know you. What did you do?"

He tried to stare her down, but she was equally as good at the stare. So he let his go and shrugged it off. "Let had a little fall off my bike."

"A little fall, my ass." She said, show me.

"No."

"Carson Wagner Kellar you show me or I'll tell mother."

Well that did it. he dropped his pants and closed his eyes as she said, "Oh, my God, Carson." with that said she propelled him into the bathroom to get a better look.

"I cleaned it up good and put on the salve... just like last time."

Patty inspected the gnarling rashes of skin, her lips twisted as if she could feel his pain. After several moments she said, "It looks like you did a good job... but if it gets any redder or any pus appears you tell me. Do you hear me."

Carson nodded. Dealing with Patty was far better than dealing with his mother. If his mother knew, he father would surely find out and then that would be the end of the bikes. As it was he could probably tell his father that someone had vandalized it, but a lie to his father had seriously bad consequences. He figured a story of a 'small fall' would probably work.... that way his father would make him work through his pain... and earn back another bike... maybe by the end of the summer, if he worked really hard.

He followed his sister out of the bathroom after securing his pants and settling his body into the best position to walk and not give away the pain. Patty stayed close, covering him. over dinner, her eyes had watched him for signs of discomfort, but he had kept it together. He was also grateful that his father had plans for the evening that did not include working in the garage. He was free to hide in his room and suffer his pain alone.



Officially approved Writing.Com Preferred Author logo.

** Image ID #1855238 Unavailable ** My owl signature from Gemini Gem. Winter trail scene
© Copyright 2016 💙 Carly (UN: carly1967 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
💙 Carly has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/894619-Day-15---Antagonist-Background-Story---Contest-2