*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/897650-November
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#897650 added November 15, 2016 at 11:55pm
Restrictions: None
November
         Does everyone find November as burdensome as I do? It hasn't always been this way. I'm actually working fewer than 40 hours, so it should be easier. And I don't commute more than 15 or 20 minutes, which is better than I had it for over a decade. Maybe I'm just getting too old to carry on as usual.

         Right off it comes to mind that this is the first year my father is retired for the holidays. That adds extra stress. He's under foot and trying to do things his way on his time table, but he hasn't realized yet, he can't do it on his own any more. So that's more stressful for me. He can't drive as much, so I take him more places. Just caring for him and cleaning up after him is time-consuming. He was going downhill anyway, but I think not working has accelerated his befuddlement.

         Plus, there are more babies in the family. They come to visit Big Pop while I'm at work on Sundays. When I come home late Sunday night, there are toys everywhere, good vases and flower pots are chipped or broken. Things are missing. Books are not on the bookshelves, and papers are on the floor instead of my desk. I'm not there to protect my property, and Dad isn't able to. I try to lock up and hide things in advance, but who knew that the mother and grandfather would let a one year old get into the fireplace and break my decorative bottles? Bib Pop, who's not too stable on his feet, had to go over and pick him up and carry him away from the fireplace.

         I'm teaching senior adult women Bible study. That takes a lot of preparation. I sing in the choir. I'm an officer, and they're trying to buy a piece of property, which requires my signature during my working hours. It's been very hard coordinating all the paperwork. I did help pack shoe boxes for Operation Christmas Child, and socialized afterward. That was a little stress-relieving, I guess.

         Then there's health issues. Not just the old man's, but mine. I have ongoing problems which seem to be getting worse, and I have a cold, which just makes you feel tired without doing anything. Coughing is an exhausting activity. My sporadic hours make sleeping difficult. Every year I find myself wishing that some of the family members would make plans to go skiing for Thanksgiving or take a cruise, and make my load lighter.

         One of my brothers is bringing a pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving. I don't have the nerve to tell him I don't like his pumpkin pie. For $6 Costco makes a fantastic and huge pumpkin pie. I like the idea of catering, but my Dad wants me to cook everything and he's making the menu. I'll probably have to work Thanksgiving night at my job. If not, I might skip the turkey and just drink some wine.

© Copyright 2016 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/897650-November