*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/897665-Mixing-the-Old-and-New
Rated: E · Book · Experience · #2050107
A Journal to impart knowledge and facts
#897665 added November 16, 2016 at 9:27am
Restrictions: None
Mixing the Old and New
War Chest Wednesday! From a previous challenger...

What Lo-Fi, non-electronic, or old school things from the past do you still enjoy today?


Owl with signature
*BookStack3*

How far back into the past are we looking?

One of the things that is still active from my past is horse back riding. I don't ride any more. But, I keep an old horse and a pony. They need the same kind of regular care horses needed 50 years ago. Only, more so because the ones I have are elderly.

There is a crazy idea that took hold in some horse circles that horses don't need stables. There isn't any science behind this. And, so far the only example people use are the wild horses that use to run in the west. No one seems to notice that the wild herds smelled a storm on the wind they moved to warmer areas like birds migrating away from the snow in the winter.

A lot of this is a historical fight about gear used on horses in the cities in centuries gone by. Some of it depends on training.

Also a few 10's of years ago some people introduced synthetic saddles onto the market in an effort to save the creatures who were giving up their leather skin to the saddle industry. Unfortunately, synthetic saddles wear out quickly under regular daily use and have to be replaced but, they cost as much as leather equipment that wears for a lifetime with regular use and regular care. I stick with the leather.

Nothing more old school than a daily walk with my dog.

Another thing, I like eBooks, on my kindle and cloud I have many dozens. But, I also keep reference books close on my desk. Sitting here I count 32 regular books on Bible, English grammar and composition, journalism, writing and others. I dream of a small library of kindles that would hold all these books in eBook form. But, it would cost a lot of money to replace the accumulated books in eBook form. (less clutter) I do like the thought of less clutter. And, I like the ability to move between two or three books at a time on my kindle which allows me to check facts and references between books quickly while reading. There is the cloud now to keep up with a large library and not lose books if the electronics on the kindle fails which is a grave possible thought.

When K adopted his female beagle she was quite a hand full. One day our two dogs got into a horrid fight over chew hooves. There were 4 of them scattered around the room the beagle tried to put them all together and sit on them. A fight erupted while I was reading. I could not get across the floor fast so I threw my kindle at them. It broke up the fight with no damage to the kindle *Laugh*or, to the dogs. I'm going to be telling that story for an age. Spraying water on fighting dogs is still the best way to break them apart.

I noticed in the "Breakers" series written by Edward W. Robertson, even after the great destruction of the world some of the most cherished things found laying around that people picked up and used were the e readers. Although, I only read through the first 6 books of this series. I did not find mention of a group of people trying the resurrect the internet. A grave mistake but it could have been the loss of communication and alien intervention that kept it from being a factor.

Picking apples from the trees. Still, done by hand at my home. Also, knitting, hand sewing, and crochet still done here on occasion.

Merit Badge in Blog Camping
[Click For More Info]

Traveling with you in Europe was so much fun, hope you join us again next August! Until then, we hope all your blogging experiences inspire you equally as much!

Lyn and Norb





© Copyright 2016 Apondia (UN: judithd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Apondia has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/897665-Mixing-the-Old-and-New