*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/900829-Ripples
Rated: 13+ · Book · Activity · #2056808
This contains entries to Take up Your Cross, Space Blog, Blog City PF and BC of Friends
#900829 added January 1, 2017 at 9:51pm
Restrictions: None
Ripples
It's the first week of January 2017 and thus it's a week of fresh starts for the year. The question is "Do I believe in fresh starts?"

The answer is that yes, I believe in fresh starts. I believe that every time I open my eyes in the morning I'm given a fresh lease on life, a fresh start if you will. None of us can go back and change our past. The past is set in stone and is impossible to change by any known human means. Therefore we are left with the present and the future. When it boils right down to it we can't travel forward in time either. Einstein theorized that any object that moved at a speed approaching the speed of light would jump ahead of all the objects around it in time. However time would remain stationary for the object itself. Therefore if I were to leave the spot where I'm now sitting and move around my room at the speed of light for one minute my watch would only go forward one minute but everything around me would age many years. The point is that no matter where I am in time for me it remains the present. The present however directly affects the future. The actions I take today, no matter how big or how small, have a direct and profound affect on the future. The decision to eat something or not eat something at the moment for example, will determine how I feel in the future. If I am faced with a big decision to make I may make the wrong decision and the decision I make may have catastrophic effects. It may not seem significant to me but ask my dog how significant it is when he runs and hides because I'm needlessly scolding him! Ask yourself if you would want the president making a decision about a major nuclear arms treaty on an empty stomach or after a bad night's sleep?

My actions in the present may not seem to be a big deal but my present directly affects my future and the future of anybody I come into contact with. Their actions then affect the futures of still others. Before long that one tiny ripple has become many ripples and the surface of the serene water is now a turbulent jumble of intersecting ripples because of that one initial action. Each new day is therefore a fresh start.

© Copyright 2017 Chris Breva (UN: marvinschrebe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Chris Breva has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/900829-Ripples