*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/900791-Past-Resolutions
Rated: 13+ · Book · Activity · #2056808
This contains entries to Take up Your Cross, Space Blog, Blog City PF and BC of Friends
#900791 added January 1, 2017 at 4:25pm
Restrictions: None
Past Resolutions
"Past Resolutions

I am one who usually doesn't have a problem keeping my resolutions. I guess that makes me a bit unusual but there's a reason for it. First of all I make my resolutions something I truly want to do to begin with. So many people set themselves up for failure by trying to do things they know they may need to do but truly aren't motivated to do. Sure it may not hurt to lose weight but how many of us truly want to turn down that extra piece of pie or turn down pie all together? None of us!

The second reason I usually succeed is that I make my resolutions realistic. If I make the resolution that I am going to be a millionaire by the end of the year I'm setting myself up for failure. I know there's no way that is going to happen. On the other hand I can set the resolution of improving my quality of life by getting a better job and that's an attainable goal.

One year however I set a resolution for myself that just wasn't in the stars. In fact it was last year. I was widowed in 2014 and life has been very lonely. I set the resolution that I was going to either be married or at least in a committed relationship by the end of the year. I knew marriage would have been rushing it so I just hoped to be involved. I don't drink so going to bars to meet women wasn't an option. The only option I really had was to meet women through social media. Yes, that was a real joke! I must have met at least 100 different women and each of them tried to lead me down the yellow brick road. The only thing was the bricks were yellow because they were gold and the women thought the gold was in my wallet! I'm not saying this is true of all women on social media. It was true of all the ones I met. Some, it turned out, weren't even women. They were men who had posted pictures of attractive women to develop a profile and lure other men in. It was a classic love con. I never did send money to anybody I met online no matter how long I had known them and I never will. So it was useless for them to try. However that didn't stop them from trying. Their excuses for needing money were anything from needing groceries to airline tickets. The most original was one who had chatted with me for nearly three months. She said she worked for the United Nations. Then she said she was coming here from Africa. Of course she never showed up. A few days after her alleged departure I received a call from a hospital saying she had been in an accident. The "doctor' stayed in touch for several days and at last asked me how I wished to pay her bill! I told him nice try and that I'd report them to Interpol. She said she worked for the UN and Interpol is UN police so I'd let them handle it. Then I hung up.

Needless to say I'm still single and a whole lot wiser. I'm okay living alone. When God is ready the right one will come along.

© Copyright 2017 Chris Breva (UN: marvinschrebe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Chris Breva has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/900791-Past-Resolutions