*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/902515-SubjectVerb-Agreement
Rated: 13+ · Book · Activity · #2056808
This contains entries to Take up Your Cross, Space Blog, Blog City PF and BC of Friends
#902515 added January 18, 2017 at 3:44am
Restrictions: None
Subject/Verb Agreement
"Subject/Verb Agreement

** Image ID #2106623 Unavailable **

Today we are going to continue working on subject/verb agreement. Yesterday I made the mistake of calling it plural verbs, which was brought to my attention today. The proper term is indeed "subject/verb agreement". What this means is that the verb you use in a sentence is totally dependent on the subject or noun. This is necessary if the sentence is to make sense. For example an incorrect sentence would be "The cattle runs to the water."

However "The cow runs to the water" makes perfect sense.

For today's assignment please state whether each of the following sentences is correct or incorrect. If they are incorrect, write them out using proper subject/verb agreement.

Some birds fly toward the equator each fall. Correct

The cars plows into each other in accidents. Incorrect - The cars plow into each other in accidents.

The spaceships leave Earth orbit heading for Mars. Correct

The girls runs a marathon to benefit medical research. Incorrect - The girls run a marathon to benefit medical research.

That man runs every day before going to work. Correct

She walk the dog each morning in her yard. Incorrect: She walks the dog each morning in her yard.

218143218143



© Copyright 2017 Chris Breva (UN: marvinschrebe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Chris Breva has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/902515-SubjectVerb-Agreement