*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/905380-February-24-The-Meaning-of-Work
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #1954602
I have posted my response to MHWA Mental Health Challenge and other items to this journal.
#905380 added February 24, 2017 at 12:07pm
Restrictions: None
February 24: The Meaning of Work
Friday, February 24, 2017

"It is enjoined upon every one of you to engage in some form of occupation, such as crafts, trades and the like. We have graciously exalted your engagement in such work to the rank of worship unto God, the True One..."
Bahá’u’lláh, Tablets of Bahá’u’lláh, 3. Bis̲h̲árát (Glad-Tidings), The twelfth Glad-Tidings

The "Blogging Circle of Friends 50/50 prompt
Have you ever taken a job you didn't want in order to support yourself? What was it? In "The Meaning of Work," an episode of NPR's TED Radio Hour, psychologist Barry Schwartz asks, "Why is it that, for the overwhelming majority of people on the planet, the work they do has none of the characteristics that gets us up and out of bed and off toward the office every morning?" Are you working in your dream profession now? Fee is 3000gps. http://www.npr.org/programs/ted-radio-hour/443411154/the-meaning-of-work

The Meaning of Work

What is the meaning of work? Is work just a job to go to in order to keep a roof above your head, clothes on your back, and food on your plate? Does work focus on the material and financial aspects of life or is there a spiritual aspect to work? Considering that a human being has both a physical body and a spiritual soul then a person's work should satisfy both body and soul. If it doesn't do this then it's a boring, backbreaking and soul-breaking job.


Am I working at my dream profession now? I'm officially retired from the work I did in my younger years. I have no intention to going back to that. The only thing I want to do now is write. I want to share my talent, my experience and my beliefs with humanity. I hope that I in some way I'm worshiping God through the practice and perfecting of my art. I know that my work will never be perfect because perfection isn't static. One poem or one story may be perfect, but the are other poems or stories that I need to work on. I can't just wither my work is perfect because as a human being I'm not perfect. The only thing I can do is work on my art while attempting to worship God through the practice of that art.

© Copyright 2017 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/905380-February-24-The-Meaning-of-Work