*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/906983-Keep-on-movin
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#906983 added March 16, 2017 at 8:58pm
Restrictions: None
Keep on movin'...
PROMPT: The Wildcard Round! Tell us about a time you had to overcome a big or small fear in order to get what you wanted/ be successful/ maintain something.
          Over the years, I have moved, lock, stock, and barrel numerous times, too many times. Each time, I faced my fears anew. There were a plethora of 'what ifs'. What if the new job(s) didn't pan out? What if our new home was a dump, or worse, a money pit? What if the kids were miserable, and resentful? What if the new neighbours were awful; control freaks, nosey, unfriendly, monsters? What if we ended up in the poor house? What if we couldn't find a doctor? What if the nearest hospital was a long car/ambulance trip away?
          Then there was the actual physical job of packing everything we owned. Where to begin? What to toss, or give to someone? Would I forget something? Would I break something? Did I really want all of the knick-knacks, the souvenirs, the books and papers, the whatever?
         Each moving day was a long, frustrating, and exhausting slog. Each presented its own problem, drama, and exercise in patience. I recall wild weather which was completely beyond our control. There were vehicle breakdowns. Miscommunication happened. Children and pets experienced mishaps/ accidents/ meltdowns. Boxes were left behind and lost. The electricity, and the telephone were not always operational at our destination. Helpers did not appear, or they showed up unannounced, too early, or too late.
          Oh, I survived. The family survived relatively unscathed. My fears were often baseless, and those that materialized were not insurmountable. More than likely, my number one fear was of pulling up stakes, and starting over. I had been comfortable, and change takes effort, and a leap of faith. Now, my family and I joke that we should invest in a moving company. We are experienced, expert packers. I vowed seven years ago that this particular re-location would be my last. It was quite the exertion to haul our worldly goods up a flight of nineteen steps. We had downsized from a sizeable house to a rental apartment, but we still possessed stuff. I've never liked any of our moves. Hubby has retirement plans that would entail permanently re-locating. He fancies purchasing a motor home, or large trailer for non-stop sight seeing. SIGH! I have several more years to fret about this...

© Copyright 2017 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/906983-Keep-on-movin