*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/907131-Umberto-Eco-and-stuff
Rated: 18+ · Book · Opinion · #2086593
Daily scribbles on writing and living. How to get rid of cobwebs in my brain. CLOSED.
#907131 added March 19, 2017 at 5:14am
Restrictions: None
Umberto Eco and stuff
"30-Day Blogging Challenge ON HIATUS [13+]
It was announced on Saturday that the world lost music legend Chuck Berry at age 90. Ponder for a second this line in the article I linked- a quote attributed to author Chuck Klosterman: "Which rock star will historians of the future remember?"...now, substitute "rock star" with any given position or occupation of prominence (or, if it suits you, don't) and answer the question. Which will historians of the future remember most easily?

The writer and essayist Umberto Eco (1932-2016) died February last year. He was an Italian novelist, literary critic, philosopher, semiotician (study of meaning-making) and university professor. His most famous works are probably In the Name of the Rose (1980) and Foucault's Pendulum (1988).

In the Name of the Rose (translated into English in 1983) is a historical murder mystery set in an Italian monastery, in the year 1327, an intellectual mystery combining semiotics in fiction, biblical analysis, medieval studies and literary theory. If you have not read it, please do. It is a masterpiece. I can recall the first time I read it and it blew me away. Perhaps you watched the movie with Sean Connery? The book is even better.

Foucault's Pendulum (translated into English in 1989) is a great philosophical work. Again it blew me out of my socks. The satirical novel is full of esoteric references to Kabbalah, alchemy and conspiracy theory. Also a thriller.

You die, but most of what you have accumulated will not be lost; you are leaving a message in a bottle. Umberto Eco


I think historians in the future will remember his work.



*Right*Prompt: Chuck Berry, who passed away Saturday at age 90, once said "I grew up thinking art was pictures until I got into music and found I was an artist and didn't paint." I don't really have a prompt for you today; just be an artist in some way with words. (BC)

I did some "Venting in my blog last night before falling asleep. On readers and writers. Today, I am going to read back and see if it made any sense. *Smile*


Petra & Arie

© Copyright 2017 WakeUpAndLive️~🚬🚭2024 (UN: wiesblaize at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
WakeUpAndLive️~🚬🚭2024 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/907131-Umberto-Eco-and-stuff