*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/908760-Tolstoy-and-optimism
Rated: 18+ · Book · Opinion · #2086593
Daily scribbles on writing and living. How to get rid of cobwebs in my brain. CLOSED.
#908760 added April 10, 2017 at 5:24am
Restrictions: None
Tolstoy and optimism
*Right*Prompt Tolstoy tells us writers to “shine with a gentle gleam.” What do you think that gentle gleam is and how can it be applied to writing? Just guess if you are not familiar with Tolstoy. (BC)

Perhaps it has something to do with Tolstoy becoming a Christian anarchist and advocating strong beliefs of non-violent actions. I can only interpret this as him wanting writers to be gentle in their writings and non-violent in their teachings to the public. In his time there were a lot of anarchists who wanted the public to act in a violent way to overthrow the system. They wrote to that effect. He wanted a different course of action. Apparently, Gandhi and Marthin Luther King were very much taken by these ideas.



*Right*Motivational Monday prompt: Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence. Helen Keller. What is your opinion on optimism? Is it faith or something else? (BCoFs)

Optimism is hopefulness and confidence about the future or the successful outcome of something. It is also the doctrine, especially as set forth by Leibniz, that this world is the best of all possible worlds.

I think optimism is a very important attitude in life to overcome difficulties and stay mentally healthy. For me, it is not a given since I am somewhat of a pessimist or a realist as I would phrase it. This has not helped me a great deal and I am working on being more optimistic about things and Life in general. Hope is a grand aspect and very important to have. It indeed brings forth all sort of great achievements. Positive thinking is a derivate from this. As much as I love the mere thought of this I sometimes get very tired of people who are taking positive thinking to the extreme. But I can see the advantages of being an optimist. I wished I had more of this trait.


Petra & Arie


© Copyright 2017 WakeUpAndLive️~🚬🚭2024 (UN: wiesblaize at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
WakeUpAndLive️~🚬🚭2024 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/908760-Tolstoy-and-optimism