*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/909920-How-to-ask-questions
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1718540
Day to day stuff....a memoir without order.
#909920 added April 26, 2017 at 5:21pm
Restrictions: None
How to ask questions?
I went to a luncheon for library volunteers today. It was nice. Everyone had a present at their place setting, a book light, exactly what I needed since mine recently dimmed and died. I always request vegetarian and it was delicious spaghetti squash and veggies with a light sauce plus grilled asparagus and even a special dessert of fruit parfait.

It's funny how we get little blips of each others' lives at functions like these. I sat beside an acquaintance who is also in my book club. I say acquaintance although she could be a friend, just not a close friend because I don't know very much about her. She always had short blond hair but now she lets it go natural...a beautiful gray. The first time I saw her gray it was sort of jolting after the blond but now I'm used to it. She says it will soon be a year, unbelievable. And she said she always did the blond herself never going to a beauty shop and she is so relieved not to have to do that anymore. It's really lovely.

I've never colored my hair...oops, I take that back, one time, platinum. Oh my goodness! I think I was around 20 and definitely daffy. I colored it back to original (dirty blond) as quickly and as closely as I could get it.

But back to these chance encounters with acquaintances. The reason we sat beside each other was because I was late, the table I should have been seated at was full so along with Sally we were at an overflow table. I learned she used to be a teacher at the high school both my children attended, retired now. I was too shy to ask her last name so that continues to be unknown. They've been out of school for thirty-some years, my kids that is, so I guess it's possible they had her but not likely. She's younger than I am.

Each time my path crosses with someone I know, I learn a little more, she of me and I of her. I feel like I run off at the mouth too much but once the faucet is turned on, there's no stopping me. I'm more comfortable talking about myself than asking questions about someone else, wish it were different, must try harder and be less self-conscious. What do you do when you're interested in learning about someone, their life. Do you just bluntly say, "What's your last name?. Where do you live? etc., etc...." How do you do it without sounding like a police interrogator?

until next time...c

© Copyright 2017 Happy May 2024! (UN: biddle.connie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Happy May 2024! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/909920-How-to-ask-questions