*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/911534-Exercise
Rated: ASR · Book · Cultural · #2015972
I have tried to summarize my observation with vivid and simple manner.
#911534 added May 21, 2017 at 11:57pm
Restrictions: None
Exercise
What is Plot?

Plot is not a story, but rather what happens in a story. It is the sequence of events that go together to create the spine and framework of the story. In a murder mystery, the plot is the search for the murderer. While there may be other elements in the action, such as romance, the main plot is what everything else revolves around. When considering the story, we may ask, "What happens next?" but when considering a plot, we would ask, "Why is it happening?"

Character motivation is a big part of plot. If the reader cannot understand why someone does something, then doing it isn’t going to accomplish anything besides confusing the reader.

Some plots will be simple and easy to follow as in a story for a very young child. Others will be complex, varied, and even convoluted as in a master storyteller’s mystery. The type of plot in a story will be determined by the type of story you are reviewing and by the audience the author hopes to reach. Each genre, in many ways, determines the type of plot used to tell its stories.

Plots are the results of choices made by the characters. The characters take action (or don’t), and events happen as a result. 1

What is Conflict?

Within every good plot there is conflict. Conflict builds the suspense and tension in stories. Why is it necessary? To keep readers interested and asking "What's next?" If stories are too flat, too predictable, they will be boring. No reader will hang on until the end if the story puts him or her to sleep. The last thing a writer wants is to have his story tossed aside before the reader reaches the ending.

People keep turning the page in best selling novels because they are in a constant state of limbo—ignorant of what’s coming next, but eager to find out. In effect, it’s almost a state of agitation, even frustration, that will keep a reader turning the page.

Has this happened to you?

It’s weird because you almost HATE what you’re reading—there are so many unanswered questions—but you just can’t put it down!2

There are three main types of conflict. Let's take a few minutes and explore them a little bit.

Man vs. Man  *Key*  The Tameri Guide for Writers tells us, A man-versus-man plot features a central character (protagonist) and an opposition character (antagonist) as the primary actors. The central/main character has a goal, and the opposition is going to attempt to stop the protagonist before he or she obtains the goal. Stories of single-person conflict work well as plays or movies. Novels and larger story arcs tend to have groups of characters in conflict.

Tameri also tells us, A movie in a series or a single chapter in a book might seem to be about interpersonal conflicts, but once you discover the entire story, it is often much more. Most authors use individuals to make a larger point. Star Wars is not about Luke Skywalker versus Darth Vader—it’s about a fallen republic versus a corrupt dictatorship, good versus evil on a galactic scale.4

Man vs. Nature  *Key*  Again according to the Tameri Guide for Writers, A "man-versus-nature" plot features a central/main character against a natural event or other phenomenon that threatens the character or something important to the character. These stories are about a search for inner-strength and confidence. Nature is not a moral entity—it simply is. To overcome nature requires something internal . . . a character must rise to the challenges he/she faces.5

Man vs. Himself  *Key*  Last of all Tameri says, Generally not the source of a primary plot, a character's internal struggles are generally story elements we might consider as sub-plots along the way. Since the most interesting character has some manner of internal flaw, an emotional issue to discover and conquer, there is an element of man versus self in great stories.6

Conflict, then, is an essential element in any story. If there is no conflict, then nothing is at stake, and the story will fall flat. Whether a story is very simple or complex, there is conflict. It could be a designer rushing against the clock to get out that next amazing sketch before the board meeting, or a wizard fighting the forces of evil to save his world. Regardless of its depth, conflict must exist within a story.

What is Story Structure?

Story Structure is the framework a story is built upon. In most stories, regardless of length, the author follows a basic structure as he crafts his tale. There are, of course, exceptions to this rule, but on the whole, most effective stories include the following structural elements.

Introduction & Exposition  *Key*  The introduction is a key element for any story. If the reader is not hooked into the story within the first paragraph, chances are they will either quit reading or become bored and set the story aside. There are many ways to hook the reader and draw him into the tale, whether it be through a dramatic statement which makes them want to know more or through a compelling description which intrigues them or an astounding event which captures their attention and imagination. Whatever it is, the introduction should grab the reader and catapult him into the story.

The exposition contains background information needed to properly understand the story, such as the protagonist, the antagonist, the basic conflict, and the setting. Normally, an expositional section will end with an enticing moment—an introduction to the incident which the story revolves around. However, it is important to know that not all exposition happens in the beginning of a story. Much of the information needed to understand the story may be laced throughout the other elements in order to enhance the action and lure the reader deeper into the story.

Rising Action  *Key*  The rising action is the time in which the main conflict is revealed. It may also be complicated through the use of sub-plots, additional characters, or random acts that in someway frustrate or limit the protagonist from reaching their goal. Basically, the rising action builds up towards the story's climax.

Effective rising action helps the reader become involved in the story and care about the coming climax. It makes him ask, "What happens next?" When rising action is done properly, the reader will be immersed in the tale and eager for the climax.

Climax  *Key*  The climax is the turning point in the story in which the protagonist reaches his/her goal in one form or another. If the story is a love story, this is where the couple will realize they are in love or perhaps when they will decide to part ways. This could be the fight which has been brewing, or the battle which has been building between the protagonist and antagonist. One way or the other, this is the time in which the story comes to a head.

The climax is one of the most important parts of a story because the reader will feel dissatisfied or satisfied based on how effective it is. If there was a dramatic building toward an event and the event falls short, then the reader may feel cheated. However, this also works the other way around. If there was very little build up towards the climax, the reader may feel that it was over complicated at a late point in the story.

The rising action and the climax should balance and uphold each other.

Falling Action  *Key*  The falling action is where everything becomes clear to the reader. The plans against the protagonist are unraveled for the reader to see, or the protagonist loses the battle, or perhaps the hidden meanings delivered earlier in the story become clear. In basic terms, this is when the climax ends and the conclusion begins.

Conclusion  *Key*  The conclusion is where everything is pulled together for the reader and wrapped up in a tidy package. Whether it is a happily-ever-after wedding, a successful quest, or a basic conclusion in which the reader feels satisfied, all conflicts are resolved giving the reader a gratifying sense of closure.

Key Note  *Key*  Not all stories follow this exact story structure.

Many stories begin at the height of the action and deliver exposition in bits and pieces throughout the work using flashbacks and/or the characters' inner thoughts. Sometimes stories begin at the end and work their way back from there, and sometimes the climax is introduced first, followed by an explanation. Whatever order these elements are used in, each element should be present in some capacity in order for the story to feel complete.

*Key*    *BookOpen*    *Key*    *BookStack*    *Key*    *BookOpen*    *Key*    *BookStack*    *Key*

Again, I do not expect you to memorize these elements, nor do I expect you to comment on each one in your reviews. However, knowing about these elements can help to recognize them in a story as you are reading.

If a story feels flat or lacking, it very well may be because it contains a weak plot or unsatisfactory structure. Armed with the above knowledge, you can now recognize a reason for why it might not have been effective.

Key Note  *Key*  If an author feels attacked by your comments, they will not learn from them.

Explain your suggestions in a way that shows the author support and encouragement. This will cause them to want to consider your suggestions and then want to improve the piece and their writing. On the other hand, perhaps you read a story that is amazing. This information will allow you to point out why you feel there was a strong plot and what made it so.

Key Note  *Key*  Commenting on a story's strengths is just as important as handing out criticism, if not more so.

Do you feel more confident commenting on plot, conflict, and structure in your reviews? Why or why not?

*NoteY*  How do you feel about giving someone else's work a rating?

*NoteB*  How did you determine the rating for the pieces you reviewed?

© Copyright 2017 sindbad (UN: sindbad at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
sindbad has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/911534-Exercise