*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/912365-Time-in-a-turtoise
Rated: 18+ · Book · Opinion · #2086593
Daily scribbles on writing and living. How to get rid of cobwebs in my brain. CLOSED.
#912365 added June 6, 2017 at 1:24am
Restrictions: None
Time in a turtoise
"Invalid Item

30-Day Image Prompt.

Time in a turtle. The slow pace of Time. The tortoise is a symbol of wisdom and knowledge and is able to defend itself on its own. It personifies water, the moon, the Earth, time, immortality, and fertility.

Wikipedia tells us:

In the southern part of Africa, story tales about a tortoise named Fudukazi are common. Fudukazi gave the animals their color. Ijapa the tortoise (alternatively called Alabahun) is a trickster, accomplishing heroic deeds or getting into trouble in a cycle of tales told by the Yoruba of Nigeria and Benin Republic (West Africa).
Turtle "Shetyw", "Shetw", "Sheta", "shtyw" was common in Ancient Egyptian Art.
In ancient Mesopotamia, the turtle was associated with the god Ea and was used on kudurrus as a symbol of Ea.

One of Aesop's fables is The Tortoise and the Hare.

Ketupat penyu is made from a coconut leaf to appear like a turtle. It is used in a ritual to banish the ghosts in Malay traditional medicine.

In China the traditional Chinese character symbolizing the turtle (龜) shows a head like that of a snake at the top, to the middle left of the paws, to the middle right of the shell, and at the bottom of the tail. According to the "Book of ceremonies", the single-horned rhino, phoenix, tortoise, and dragon are the four entities that possess spirit.

In Hindu mythology the world is thought to rest on the backs of four elephants who stand on the shell of a turtle.[30] In Hinduism, Akupara is a tortoise who carries the world on his back, upholding the Earth and the sea.

According to traditional Japanese beliefs, the tortoise is a haven for immortals and the world mountain and symbolizes longevity, good luck, and support. It is the symbol of Kumpira, the god of seafaring people.

Many legends of Vietnam connect closely to the turtle. During the time of Emperor Yao in China, a Vietnamese King's envoy offered a sacred turtle (Vietnamese: Thần Quy) which was carved in Khoa Đẩu script on its carapace writing all things happening from the time Sky and Earth had been born. Yao King ordered a person to copy it and called it Turtle Calendar.

The World Turtle carries the Earth upon its back in myths from North America; for this reason, many aboriginal North Americans refer to it as Turtle Island. In Cheyenne tradition, the great creator spirit Maheo kneads some mud he takes from a coot's beak until it expands so much that only Old Grandmother Turtle can support it on her back. In Mohawk tradition, the trembling or shaking of the Earth is thought of as a sign that the World Turtle is stretching beneath the great weight that she carries.

Turtles are beloved by many Indigenous South American cultures and have thus entered their mythologies. According to many of these myths, the Jebuti (Portuguese: jabuti, pronounced: [ʒɐbuˈtʃi], "land turtle") obtained its mottled shell in a fall to earth as it attempted to reach the heavens with the help of an eagle in order there to play a flute at a celebration.


© Copyright 2017 WakeUpAndLive️~🚬🚭2024 (UN: wiesblaize at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
WakeUpAndLive️~🚬🚭2024 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/912365-Time-in-a-turtoise