*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/913943-Lil
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1718540
Day to day stuff....a memoir without order.
#913943 added June 23, 2017 at 5:17pm
Restrictions: None
Lil
I made a friend in my writing group who has a horse, a palomino quarter horse who is 36 years old. She has had "Lil" (short for Diamond Lil) since she (Lil) was 6. A few days ago Penny asked if I would like to meet Lil and after hesitating just a teeny tiny bit, I said I would. So this morning was the day.

Penny boards Lil just a few miles north of Gainesville and with the address in hand I left home around 9:30 in order to meet Penny around 10. She sees Lil twice a week to groom and ride and "pal around".

Not realizing at first but as I got closer to my destination I found I was familiar with the area, having had a friend who lived nearby. A couple years back, Carolyn (the friend), lost her husband and decided to move near Atlanta to be close to her son and daughter-in-law. I had helped her with her packing but hadn't been up in that area for quite awhile. It is beautiful, rolling hills, lush grasses, and towering trees on a quiet country road.

Lil's Place, since I don't know any other name to call it, was horse country, green pastures with black board fencing, a huge wrought iron entry gate (of which I had the code), and a narrow winding road back to the barn on the left, a sprawling two-story home on the right. Never having been up close and personal to a horse barn, it was a new experience for me. Penny was waiting outside, decked out in riding attire. She led me to the barn, a tall structure as you would expect, with 7 or 8 stalls and a couple tack and storage rooms. It was surprisingly cool with several box fans and it smelled pleasant, another surprise.

Penny introduced me to all the boarders and I was even brave enough to rub a couple noses. All were well-behaved. She lifted the lid on a trunk next to Lil's stall and inside was everything imaginable to groom and take care of a horse. I watched as Penny fitted Lil's bridle (no bit) over her head. It even had her name on it across her nose. Lil was ready to go. Cream-colored with a tiny bit of gray in her coat and a platinum mane and tail, she stepped gingerly out into the center area of the barn. Penny turned her around, facing me, and snapped leads onto her bridle and onto hooks on each side of the area to keep her stationary for grooming, feet cleaning, brushing, mane and tail grooming and a particular once-over to insure no problems had cropped up since Penny's last visit. She is a good horse mommy.

Treats were offered for good behavior and Lil accepted one from me without question. I think Penny said Lil was 16 1/2 hands (with a hand being 4 inches). Lil is lovely and so gentle. In comparison, 36 horse years is 90-some human years. Penny surmises that mild dressage keeps Lil young.

I didn't want to interfere with their routine so I left just before eleven when Penny and Lil had their lesson. "Them time" has to be important to both, and I was happy and appreciative to be a small part of it on this 23rd day of July 2017.

© Copyright 2017 Happy May 2024! (UN: biddle.connie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Happy May 2024! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/913943-Lil