*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/914947-A-Vocabulary-List-of-Obscure-Words
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #2091338
A blog for all things personal, informational, educational, and fun.
#914947 added July 8, 2017 at 3:34pm
Restrictions: None
A Vocabulary List of Obscure Words
Sometimes when you're reading along, you'll find words that you aren't sure you've ever actually seen before. I like to think I have a fairly sizable vocabulary, but I do still find this happening to me on occasion, particularly if I read an older book that might have the occasional antiquated word. I thought I would pull together a list of words people might be less than familiar with, and share some definitions. It's never too late to expand your vocabulary.

Note: I have used the definitions that are provided on google for the sake of simplicity.

Ameliorate
verb
make (something bad or unsatisfactory) better.

Vibrissae
plural noun
whiskers

Sedulous
adjective
(of a person or action) showing dedication and diligence.

Uxoricide
noun
the killing of one's wife.

Inveigle
verb
persuade (someone) to do something by means of deception or flattery.

Oneiromancy
noun
the interpretation of dreams in order to foretell the future.

Terpsichorean
adjective
formal / humorous
relating to dancing.

noun
formal / humorous
a dancer.

Tenebrous
adjective
literary
dark; shadowy or obscure.

(I have committed to blogging daily with Give It 100. This is Day Sixty-Seven. Seven days of leave taken total.)

© Copyright 2017 Lady Elizabeth Mormont (UN: elizabethlk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Lady Elizabeth Mormont has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/914947-A-Vocabulary-List-of-Obscure-Words