*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/915110-Motivational-Monday-Reviewing-and-Readers
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing.Com · #1806613
The Saga of Prosperous Snow Continues
#915110 added July 10, 2017 at 12:06pm
Restrictions: None
Motivational Monday: Reviewing and Readers
Monday, July 10, 2017

 Canada  (13+)
Northern Sibling of the United States
#2127217 by Prosperous Snow celebrating

Motivational Monday prompt for "30-Day Blogging Challenge ON HIATUS
Singer Mavis Staples  , born on this day in 1939, once said "If you don't get out among the people, how are you going to know what they need to hear about?" How has reviewing other people's work on WDC helped you become better? Have you received a very helpful review lately that made any difference in your writing?

Reviewing

How has reviewing other people's work on WDC helped me become better? Reviewing has helped me write better descriptions. I'm still not satisfied with some of my descriptions, but they are better than when I first started. Reviewing has also helped me be less self-conscious about my writing and made me more willing to share.


Have I received a very helpful review lately that made any difference in my writing? I have received several inspiring reviews, especially on my poetry and essays (which I've been focusing on more the short stories). My problems is that, once an essay is finished and submitted, I start thinking of ways I could make it better. I don't encounter this issue until after the essay is posted. The reviews of the essays have helped me accept that, while I could probably improve, the essay I submitted was good.

The "Blog City ~ Every Blogger's Paradise prompt for DAY 1213
“Any writing that’s meant to be seen by a Reader must serve the Reader.” June Casogrande, from the book, It Was the Best of Sentences, It Was the Worst of Sentences Do you agree? In what ways can a writing serve its readers?

Serving the Reader

Do I agree with Ms Casogrande? Yes. However, I think that the only people who know what will serve the readers are the readers. An author can come up with ways that might serve the reader, such as a female character who becomes strong through her struggles with herself or others, but the author can never be sure it serves the reader until they receive some form of feedback.


In what ways can a writing serve its readers? A writer needs to give the reader something to think about or a character that the reader can identify with in some way. A writer can also serve readers by showing them reader a different world view from their own. There are numerous ways a piece of writing can serve the reader; however, it is still the reader that decides where the writing is serving a specific purpose in the reader's life.


© Copyright 2017 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/915110-Motivational-Monday-Reviewing-and-Readers