*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/916819
Rated: 13+ · Book · Travel · #2032403
ON THE WRITE PATH: travel journal for Around-the-World in 2015, 16, 18.
#916819 added August 6, 2017 at 2:29am
Restrictions: None
30 day blog challenge (fiction): Day 5 Georgetown, Guyana.
Port of Spain (POS)

There is nothing quite like sitting in an airport...

BUT... I found a nice spot in the 24 hour restaurant. Just a bit of a hidey-hole and I'm good! I'll catch a snooze. *Sleeping*

I decided on a window seat. Short one hour flight at 6 in the morning.

Coffee before 5.

Georgetown

No visa needed. No hassles.

Guesthouse Guyana Paradises... right in front of the park. Well... at the corner of Barima and Campbell in a bright white house with a balcony. *Smile* It's about 5 blocks to the zoo.

Glad I always travel with sheets and a towel. Bunk bed is fine as is the room.

Breakfast included...

Botanical Gardens

Well... it was on the way... kinda... to the Marriott where the others, the GROUP are staying.

I like to walk and take pictures. Too late for the early birds, but saw where the small zoo is.

I walked down Church Street facing traffic... they drive on the left in Guyana... need to remember that when crossing the street. Some trees to shield me from the sun. I wear my cap and carry my umbrella. I know better...

Rained overnight... now a humid 26º... better than smoke!

Detoured to capture a picture of blue Radha Krishna Mandir. Got one of the snake as well... *Delight*

Ah... the St. George Cathedral looms in all its white splendor.

I'll catch up later. Some photos... and where is the GROUP?

************************************************************

Too early.

I went back to the zoo. Wanted to see manatees... which I did!

Then hurry hurry to Old St. George's.

Since I hadn't met anyone... I was looking for orange hair... we won't say whose...

But I found them around 10. Lyn's a sly fox got the Group together... blue streak in her hair and all...

Lovely place.

************************************************************

Hmm... a break to pee? Well! When you gotta...

************************************************************

The Rest of the Day

I need to learn more about architecture I guess.

Is that a rood screen? And dark wood and white looks so Tudor. Boxes for pews. So... European.

Cavernous. I looked up at the wood roof... reminded me of the Basilica de Nuestra Señora de los Ángeles in Cartago.

Peaceful until

... s.o.m.e.o.n.e ...

started to sing.

We went to the Promenade for a picnic. Yes, I liked the statue of Ghandi... who wouldn't. It wasn't ME who took a selfie though.

Am I too serious for this group?

At least Apondia is close to my age. And I suspect 💙 Carly is older than she looks... With me... I'm just plain old.

But not dead yet!

We went to the Lighthouse. I could hear the Group waving at us from 100 feet below. Me? No 100+ steps for these old legs.

I sat with Spacecat . We'd both had long flights and were ready for a nap.

I have friends in England so I had to ask where he was from...

... and his opinion of fish and chips! (I told him the best part was the mushy peas.)

So he went back to the hotel when the Group rejoined us while I trotted off to the restaurant with the others. I tried to convince BlueMoon to be more adventurous. I was glad that someone ordered a variety of dishes to sample. I like sampling! I made sure there was some fish on that plate though!

I was "quiet". These folks know each other, have traveled together... it may take me some time.

So back to our beds. They to the hotel. Me to my hostel. It was a bit of a walk but I knew the way and after traveling around the world know how to be careful. I know all about the 10 minutes get-where-you're-going sunsets. My experience in Costa Rica was helpful.

The night was still warm and humid though.

Ah, the Tropics.

Sleep tight,

Kåre

5.august.2017

© Copyright 2017 Kåre Enga in Udon Thani (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Udon Thani has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/916819