*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/917042-Virtually-Yours---Day-7---Rio-De-Janeiro-Brazil
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1966420
Theses are my thoughts and ramblings as I forge my way through this thing they call life.
#917042 added August 7, 2017 at 11:13pm
Restrictions: None
Virtually Yours - Day 7 - Rio De Janeiro, Brazil
Backpacking S. America.


Blogging Challenge - Day 7 - Rio De Janeiro, Brazil

August 7th - Grab a nap on the plane because when our feet hit we’re off to the races. We’re staying at Hilton Rio de Janeiro Copacabana
Avenida Atlantica, 1020, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro 22010-000, Brazil 011 55 21 3501-8000
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g303506-d301412-Reviews-Hilton_Rio_de_J...
It’s got mixed reviews but the pluses are safe ocean access and pool both. The luggage will be transported and we’ll sort it out later.
Skip the Line: Christ the Redeemer Admission Ticket
Bypass long lines for Rio's most popular attraction with this time-saving ticket
Take the first available train to the summit of Corcovado
https://www.tripadvisor.com/AttractionProductDetail-g303506-d12152822-Skip_the_L...
Afternoon adventure is Rio Walking Tour with More Than 15 Attractions
Visit Rio's highlights and landmarks on foot during a 3-hour walking tour with a local guide. Starting from Cinelandia Station, follow your 'carioca' (Rio native) guide on a walk that includes Rio's most important historical and cultural sites. Visit National Museum of Fine Arts, Theatro Municipal, the Monastery Church of Santo Antônio, Ordem Terceira de São Francisco da Penitência and several other important landmarks. All entrance fees are included on this small-group tour. You will be taken by subway to downtown, emerging at Cinelândia Station, Cinelândia of Rio´s 1900s, with its relics of the French architectural influence such as the National Museum of Fine Arts, Theatro Municipal – the city´s Opera House, the National Library, Pedro Ernesto Palace (City Hall), the Cultural Center of the Federal Court.
On the way to Carioca square we see the Naval Club, the Monastery Church of Santo Antônio and the Ordem Terceira de São Francisco da Penitência, a true cultural richness of the Brazilian colonial architecture (1622).

A visit at the Confeitaria Colombo, built in 1894 in Art- Nuveaux, Tiradentes Palace (State Hall ), Praça XV including the Imperial Palace (the first residence of the Portuguese Royal Family), the statue of General Osório, Mestre Valentim´s Fountain and through the Teles Arch, reach the cobble-stoned Travessa do Comercio and the former residence of Carmen Miranda, the Church of Our Lady of the Merchants, the Post Office Cultural Center, France-Brazil House, Bank of Brasil Cultural Center and Candelaria Church. Back to the hotels by sub-way.

Visits or stops: Cinelândia, Largo da Candelaria, Confeitaria Colombo, the Church of Our Lady of the Merchants, France-Brazil House when open, Bank of Brasil Cultural Center and Candelaria Church when open.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/AttractionProductDetail-g303506-d11455442-Rio_Walkin...

Are you tired yet? We’re back to the hotel you have 2 hours to check your stuff into your room and shower before we hit our late night dinner destination for tapas and wine.

El Born --- the main courses are really tasty in itself, we only realized that the main virtue of this restaurant is the diversity in tapas which we were offered while waiting for our main courses. Each tapa costs only 9 BRL, and you can have as many as you desire; the staff comes around with a new plate of tapas every 10 minutes or so. Well worth a visit!
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g303506-d3815693-Reviews-El_Born-R...

Journal:
Rio De Janeiro. Wow.
Lyn had us hitting the road and running. We made our way to the first train up to the summit to see the Christ the Redeemer way at the top of Corcovado. It really is quite the sight to see and the view from up there is amazing. It was 8ma. It is considered one of the New 7 Wonders of the World.

Given that we had a 9 am start for our 3-hour walking tour with a local guide, we had to head out almost too soon, but I got enough pictures of the huge stature. Our walking tour started from Cinelandia Station. We even got to take the subway downtown - that was exciting for a Monday morning! We followed our 'carioca' - which is a Rio native that guided us. We got to see Rio's most important historical and cultural sites: the National Museum of Fine Arts, the Theatro Municipal - which s the city's opera house, the National Library, Pedro Ernesto Palace - which was the city hall, the Cultural Center fo the Federal Court, the Monastery Church of Santo Antônio, the Ordem Terceira de São Francisco da Penitência and several other important landmarks.

The National Museum of Fine Arts, Theatro Municipal, the National Library, Pedro Ernesto Palace, the Cultural Center of the Federal Court are considered relics of the French architectural influence - early 1900s. On our way to Carioca square we saw the Naval Club, the Monastery Church of Santo Antônio and the Ordem Terceira de São Francisco da Penitência, a true cultural richness of the Brazilian colonial architecture (1622).

A visit at the Confeitaria Colombo, built in 1894 in Art- Nuveaux, Tiradentes Palace (State Hall ), Praça XV including the Imperial Palace (the first residence of the Portuguese Royal Family), the statue of General Osório, Mestre Valentim´s Fountain and through the Teles Arch, reach the cobble-stoned Travessa do Comercio and the former residence of Carmen Miranda, the Church of Our Lady of the Merchants, the Post Office Cultural Center, France-Brazil House, Bank of Brasil Cultural Center and Candelaria Church. We went back to the hotel by subway.

On our way back to the hotel, I manage to find a place with great Brazilian coffee and good eats for lunch. We all need a pick me up by his point.

My head was buzzing and it was only lunch time. It was also amazingly hot. Lyn has promised tapas and wine for dinner and I am all for it, but I am glad for the break. I hurry and check into my room, grab on my swimsuit and towel and head for the beach. It is just too beautiful to ignore and with the heat, I am best in the water.

By the time we head out for dinner I am ready. The beach was just what I needed and I even managed to get a lovely bit of a tan. The tapas and wine and the company were exquisite.

© Copyright 2017 💙 Carly (UN: carly1967 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
💙 Carly has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/917042-Virtually-Yours---Day-7---Rio-De-Janeiro-Brazil