*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/917482-Weekend-Tragedy
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#917482 added August 13, 2017 at 10:47pm
Restrictions: None
Weekend Tragedy
         A tragedy occurred in my town this weekend. A senseless act by a crazy person killed a young woman and injured many more, about 15 still in critical condition from the last report. And it all could have been avoided with a little common sense.

         My town is a quiet little community that can solve its own problems. Outsiders from all over the country converged in a demonstration. Heaven knows what drew them all in, since they are from multiple groups, Neo-Nazis, KKK, some Polynesian group, and others. They were not invited. They got their license and descended on us for the second time. The first time went off peacefully. This time, they came in larger numbers and a large group of counter protesters were there as well. I don't know if the second group had a permit.The outsiders should have stayed outside; the insiders should have stayed inside-at home.

         By showing up to protest the various groups and whatever they stood for they fed into their need for attention and gave them the news coverage they craved. Ignoring them, or protesting them in some remote area would have made more sense. Both sides appear to have been looking for a fight.They needed excitement, I suppose, and they went too far. The police held back too long waiting for the commotion to escalate, not anticipating a sudden wham.

         The media, as expected, has made a media circus of it. The crashing of a state trooper helicopter has been blamed on the president by one reporter.That actually had nothing to do with what happened on the ground, except that it would not have been out there patrolling if a rally had not been advertised. Like him or not, the president had no role in this and didn't respond any worse than his predecessor to similar situations. Instead, the whole thing is indicative of the hate culture of intolerance in which we now find ourselves. Both left and right are self-centered, narcissistic, and exclusive.Whatever happened to "make love, not war"? The Coca-cola song about perfect harmony was just a blip in history.

         At this point, we don't know if the out of state terrorist was with group one or group two. He might be a liberal or a supremacist or something else. No one is saying that he represents any group, or is just one disgruntled person acting out a mental illness. I would like to see one or more of any of the first groups to say "We don't advocate violence, and do not condone what happened." It won't absolve them from inciting a young lost person, but it might deter others. Protesters of any kind must begin to think of safety first. They can't take chances like they did in the sixties. It's a different world. Caution needs to be exercised. There are many ways that are probably more effective at expressing your opposition without filling up public spaces which can be dangerous.

         As far as going far away to protest something, you will be unwelcome and will cause more hate and disdain for your group or cause. You aren't going to change anyone's thinking by traveling across country for a cause. Exercise your right to free speech, respect everyone else's right to do the same, and put your safety first.

© Copyright 2017 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/917482-Weekend-Tragedy