*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
4
6
10
11
12
13
14
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/921344-Its-the-Great-Pumpkin-Charlie-Brown
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#921344 added October 2, 2017 at 8:10pm
Restrictions: None
It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown
*LeafR* Is there a song, poem, or story that reminds you of fall or takes you to autumn in your imagination?
         
         
         
         
         
         
         
         I suppose when I think of this time of year, I remember a classic cartoon/animated feature that first aired way back in 1966. Yes, Virginia, there was an autumn that particular year, and yes, people celebrated Halloween back then, too. I'm referring to Charles M. Schulz' creation, 'It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown'.
          In this piece, the Peanuts gang are puzzled by Linus and his insistence that an entity he's dubbed The Great Pumpkin will visit him on Halloween. This closely parallels the customs and beliefs of Christmas. Good boys and girls will be rewarded with gifts carried to them in The Great Pumpkin's sack. Linus even goes so far as to write a letter to this gourd o' good. He concedes that this pumpkin may be #2, but he believes it's because Santa gets all the publicity. Linus mentions singing pumpkin carols. He weathers the disbelief of his sister and their friends, somewhat like the naysayers who negate Christmas by claiming it's fake.
         Linus demonstrates his strong belief by refusing to trick-or-treat. Instead of collecting candy, he waits all night in a pumpkin patch. He refers to his devotion as sincerity. The Great Pumpkin respects sincerity.
         Alas, loyal Linus falls asleep outside never seeing his Great Pumpkin. This does not diminish his faith.
          I've always liked Schulz' portrayal of children. They blindly believe. They tease each other, yet support one another. They just continue to act as children. They accept their differences and oddities. At the end of the day, Linus' big sister Lucy still gets out of her bed to go rescue her blockhead brother shivering in the pumpkin patch. She clearly expresses her disapproval, but he's her brother, and all she can do is take care of the practical matters. Some people are born dreamers.

© Copyright 2017 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/921344-Its-the-Great-Pumpkin-Charlie-Brown