*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/922408
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: GC · Book · Supernatural · #2138250
Life is not a fairytale. It's like a nightmare & for immortals it can be fucking endless.
#922408 added October 19, 2017 at 6:57pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter Two – Black Sheep
As I flew down the highway, I glanced at the clock on the dashboard realizing my parents weren’t expecting me home for another few hours. So, I have some time to kill and right about now I could use a drink. Better yet, make that drinks…as in plural. I guess you could say I picked up a drinking habit while I was in New Orleans. At first it was to just dull the pain, now it’s how I keep going, along with smoking; although I only smoke when I am drinking. The two go hand in hand.

I pulled off the highway and headed towards Deep Elum. Minutes later I pull up to the valet at one of Dallas’ hottest bars, Black Sheep. I walk past the long line like I own the place, then again I kinda do, I think with a grin on my face. What started out as a late night of drunk rambling with Coco soon turned into a business partnership. Coco has always had good head for numbers and when I told her I wanted to invest in a bar she offered to run it. Naming it was simple. She and I both have always considered ourselves the black sheep of our families. So, Black Sheep was born. She has done a fantastic job with this place. The pictures don’t do it justice and I can see why this is one of the hottest bars in town.

Rodger, the doorman opens the door for me “Good evening Ms. Wallace very nice to see you, it’s been awhile. I’ll call Ms. Coco to let her know you’re here.”

“No that’s okay. I know tonight is her night off. I’ll see her this weekend at the ranch anyway.” I reply. “Rodger, is this place this crowed all the time?” I ask. “Yes, ma’am. You should see the line tomorrow night or Saturday.” “Good to know. Thank you, Rodger,”, I reply.

As I shove my way through the crowd towards the main bar, I notice there are a lot of humans here as well as a mixture of supernatural beings. Finally reaching the bar, I yell at the bartender “Two shots of Monopolowa Vodka and a beer”. He starts to say something as he turns around, but just looks at me with a wide grin. I wait for my drinks and glance around the bar observing the atmosphere. I can’t help but smile a little thinking I look like I’m either looking for a hook-up or casing the place.

It’s instinct as well as part of my training to take in my surroundings and size up every possible situation and every possible outcome should something go down. I am what you would call a people watcher and always have been. Dad says that’s probably why I was fascinated with behavioral studies thus leading me to become a profiler for the FBI.

“Here you go sweetheart,” says the bartender as he sits the drinks in front of me. I can’t help but notice him undressing me with his eyes. I figure why not have a little fun, so I start to undress him with my eyes as I sling back both shots of vodka.

“Another one please,” I say in a flirty voice as I wave the empty shot glasses in my hand. “Oh, and can you please keep the shot glass full and I’ll empty ‘em. On second thought, just leave the bottle.” I wink as I slide a hundred-dollar bill slowly across the bar to him.

I watch as his pupils dilate and his cheeks go flush. I hop up on the bar stool next to me and sit facing outwards towards the crowded bar with my elbows propped on the bar behind me. I can feel the disappointment roll off the bartender. I turn around to face him again and motion for him to come closer. As he leans down towards my face, I lean way over the bar making sure he has a clear view down the front of my shirt and whisper in his ear, “As much as I would looooove to run my hands all over that hot sexy body of yours, my daddy always said you don’t get your meat where you get your bread and you keep your drinks stiff not the bartender.” I plant a soft kiss on his cheek. He obviously doesn’t realize who I am, so I introduce myself. “Names Raelynne Wallace and you are?” I say as I reach out my hand.

“Oh shit. Oh, shit.” He says as I watch his eyes grow as big as saucers. “Wow. Oh. Um. S-So you’re the Boss? Wow. You look nothing like what I thought you would look like.” He stutters. “And what exactly did you think I would look like?” I ask arching my eyebrow. “Oh Hell. If I answer that, then I suspect I will be picking up my last paycheck tonight”, he mumbles. He reminds me of the actor Richard Madden only a little taller and way more muscular. “Listen” I say, “Me? I may be a wolf but I’m not the big bad wolf. I’m just passing through. Now Coco she’s the boss and the one you should worry about. Besides, you’re kinda cute. I think we need to keep you around so I have something nice to look at when I come in.” “Um thanks?” He says, almost like it’s a question. “My name is Fredrick” he says. “Ah. Nice to meet you” I reply.

Smiling, I twist my body back to observing the crowd as I sip my beer. Every so often a bar-fly comes over offering me his best pick-up line. I’m no beauty queen but I do fain the unwanted attention of men and a few women at times. Gender nor species, has ever been a deterrent when it comes to someone having an interest in me. My father says it’s because my aura holds magic and people are drawn to it like bees to honey. More like moths to a flame if you asked my opinion.

Suddenly the hair on the back of my neck stands up and I feel like someone is watching me. I quickly look around but don’t see anyone staring at me. Like a sixth sense, I have always had the ability to know when I’m being watched. I can’t help but chuckle thinking about the time I caught the neighbor’s son watching me with binoculars as I was changing clothes. I marched right over to his house and gave him a piece of my mind. Plus, I broke the binoculars in half. My parents were surprised the binoculars were the only thing broken. I have been known for my temper at times. I blame it on my Irish heritage and being a fire head.

I brush off the feeling and chalk it up to being back in Dallas and nervous about meeting with my family. As much as I love them, I am not looking forward to the reunion at all. I know it will be non-stop questions and conversation for the next few days. I don’t like people fussing over me and asking me to talk about my feelings. That’s just it, they are mine. I can only hope they allow me the time to work up to the harder conversations, like explaining the relationship Griff and I had. Only his mother, sister and Coco know how close we had gotten.

I turn around to put my beer on the bar. Suddenly, I’m spun around and pick me up off my bar stool. “Oh my goddess, if it isn’t little Raelynne Wallace,” said the giant man-handling me. “I would know you anywhere. You look just like your picture only prettier”, he says with a huge grin on his face, as he hugs me tightly.

Not at all amused, I knee the giant in the groin. As he drops me and I twist his arm around behind his back, I shout “I don’t know who you are or where you think you know me from, but I can tell you, I don’t know you so you better leave me the fuck alone and not touch me again.”

By now everyone in the vicinity of the bar is gawking at us and I see bouncers converging on us thinking a fight is about to break out. I raise my fist up stopping them dead in their tracks. It’s nice to see Coco hired ex-military for security, I think to myself. After all, Black Sheep is one of the best-known bars in Dallas and it since it does cater to a more specific type of clientele, it isn’t uncommon for someone to lose their cool.

I watch the man cup his balls with his free hand obviously, pain. I hear him mutter and groan, “Yep. Fenris said you were nothing but piss and vinegar but he never did tell how grown up and pretty you are”.

I look at the man with no doubt a shocked expression on my face. I ask, “You knew Fenris?” Suddenly I realize I haven’t thought about Fenris in the last few months. I’ve spent all this time wallowing in depression over losing Griff. Hells, I haven’t even seen my newest nephew except from photos that Courtney constantly posts on Face Book and the few FaceTime sessions we have had, or as I call them “dad’s proof of life” video’s. Shit, I think as my eyes start to water, just the mention of my older brother can make me cry. I still can’t believe he has been gone for almost four years. I don’t think I will ever get over the loss. Losing him was like losing a part of myself, I think as a tear slides down my cheek. So much for being the tough girl.

“Oh now lil’ lady, please don’t start with the waterworks. I didn’t mean to upset you. Here you go…” he says as he hands me a bandana from his rear pocket. I quickly bat it away. “Oh gross. No thanks,” I yell. Suddenly I notice everyone watching our exchange. I yell “shows over folks”. Everyone quickly returns to what they were previously doing.

“So tell me, how do you know Fenris?” I asked with a very stern voice.

The man looks at me dumbfounded and realizes he’s the idiot in the conversation and that I haven’t got a clue who he is. “I’m so sorry. Let me introduce myself. Name’s Albert Grobermann but everyone calls me Riese which is my middle name. I had the honor of serving with your brother.” Riese points over his shoulder as he looks down at me with a broad smile and asks, “If you aren’t here with anyone why don’t you join me and the guys. Most of us served with Fenris and it would be an honor to have you join us”.

I look in the direction he gestured and see a table full of extremely well built good looking guys. My legs suddenly clinch together thinking about how nice it would be to have any one of them serve me for old times’ sake. “Get a grip”, I think to myself. “Better yet, get laid” says my wolf. I mentally roll my eyes at my wolf. I swear sex is all that bitch thinks about. I stifle a laugh at my own joke. I smile at Riese and say, “That would be very nice”.
© Copyright 2017 Lyrae Duff-Holmes (UN: lyrae31 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Lyrae Duff-Holmes has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/922408