*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/922829-Creation-Saturday-Breakfast-With-a-Mystery-Writer
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing.Com · #1806613
The Saga of Prosperous Snow Continues
#922829 added October 28, 2017 at 2:15pm
Restrictions: None
Creation Saturday: Breakfast With a Mystery Writer
Saturday, October 28, 2017

"Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers."
Isaac Asimov

The "Blogging Circle of Friends prompt for DAY 1808
Creation Saturday: Use the following words in a story or poem: coffee, swindle, absurd, summer, prosecute, high, nuts, aid, cake.

Breakfast With a Mystery Writer

"Marriage is a swindle," said Alicia dumping another packet of sugar into her already sickening sweet coffee. "And lawyers are all con artist. Even the female ones who are supposed to be on a woman's side."

"So," Gina sighed. "What absurd claim has Randy made this time?"

"That Misbegotten Son of a Demon accused me of smothering his bedridden father with a pillow."

"Did you?" Gina moved the microphone, hidden under her napkin, closer to Alicia.

"Well..." Alicia glanced at the surrounding tables to see if anyone was listening. "I don't think so. Both Randy and I were high on a combination of happy pills, so I don't remember much of what happened that day."

"What do you remember," Gina took a sip of her cranberry juice to hide her smile."

"I remember it was summer," she took a sip of her coffee, poured creamer into it, and took another sip. "Randy's mother called him to ask if he could Papa sit, so she could go to the hairdresser's and the grocery store. His Mom said the old man was sleeping, and not to bother him unless he ring some sort of bell. Randy and I put on some pron, poured something from the liquor cabinet, and began consuming happy pills."

This is getting good, Gina thought nibbling a slice of bacon. "Go on, Alica."

"We heard a noise, but we couldn't determine if it was from the bedroom or the kitchen." Alicia looked down at the sunny side up eggs and smiling slice of bacon on her plate. Made a disgusting face and pushed the plate away. "I went into the bedroom to see about the old fart, while Randy went into the kitchen."

"And?" Gina removed the bacon from Alicia's plate.

"Uh,... I'm not real sure, but I think the old man was sleeping. I went back into the living room. Randy returned from the kitchen carrying a death by chocolate cake and a bag of nuts. We ate those,and then we left."

"Was Randy's Mom home when you left the house?"

"I think so. I mean someone else came in before we left. It was either his mother or someone to aid with husband care."

"Where did you and Randy go after you left his parents' place?"

"I went home, slept the high off, and phoned my lawyer this morning about the divorce. That's when I heard that Randy accused me of killing his father. My lawyer suggested I turn myself in, but we had this breakfast date. I'm mean I couldn't miss breakfast with my best friend."

"Alicia," Gina glanced at the two uniformed police officers entering the restaurant. "You do know that they're going to prosecute you for murder?"

"Gina," she laughed. "They have to catch me first. I'm leaving for South America in a couple of hours."

Gina picked up the napkin and the microphone, stuffed them into her purse, and switched off the tape recorder. "Alicia, I have to go to the Lady's Room, you finish your coffee, and give me a call when you arrive at your destination." She walked toward the rest rooms, but paused to watch the officers arrest Alicia.

I wonder, she thought ambling to the cashier's station, if I should change the names to protect the guilty before submitting this story to True Crimes.


© Copyright 2017 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/922829-Creation-Saturday-Breakfast-With-a-Mystery-Writer