*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/925455-Frankfurt-First-Full-Day
by Sum1
Rated: E · Book · Travel · #1779685
I travel the country on business, sometimes the world. Come see where I've been.
#925455 added December 18, 2017 at 2:09pm
Restrictions: None
Frankfurt, First Full Day
Date: Week of December 18th

Locale:  Frankfurt, Germany


         After completing the class in Pismo Beach last week, I drove to Los Angeles to spend the night before flying here to Frankfurt Friday.  I arrived at 5:30 in the morning Saturday, and spent most of yesterday adjusting to the 9 hour time change.  I walked the area south of the hotel last night, but had to go back today.

         It's the holidays of course, and Germany is known for its Christmas Markets.  Annette is originally from Germany, so I wrote her before coming here, and she advised me to spend some time in the markets.  I'm thrilled that some are so close to my hotel!

         So last night on my brief walk, I found one.  Well, to be honest, it's not one market, there are many of them in one locale.    Christmas Markets in Frankfurt   lists the Christmas Markets in Frankfurt; there are several on that site that are just south of my hotel.  I am still getting over jet lag, but wanted to walk some today, so set out for a 'walkabout'.  I spent two hours walking to the 'Main River' that flows through Frankfurt, passing through the various markets on the way.

         There is no way that any photo's I take can do justice to the sights and sounds of the Markets.  I've included two below, but as I said, they just don't do the market right.  To me, the market is something you have to experience yourself to really understand.  The sights, sounds, aroma's of cooking food, the people, the atmosphere.  It's all there.  Old World looks to it all, almost Alpine in the architecture nearby.  A whole new world for me that I've only read about before.








Historic/Interesting Places Visited:

         Eiserner Steg Bridge  (Iron Footbridge)          Eiserner Steg Bridge (Iron Footbridge)  

         The Eiserner Steg (Iron Footbridge) is a pedestrian bridge in Frankfurt am Main built in 1868, connecting the Römerberg with the Sachsenhausen district over the Main. It is 170 meters long, made of riveted steel framework with two bridge piers.  For some time you also find love padlocks, they are tolerated by the city so far.  On October 8th, 2012, the bridge had to be closed because of a bomb alert, a passer-by had discovered a suspicious lock with several numbers and a pointer and held for a possible bomb.  Thankfully, it seems that wasn't the case, and the bridge is now open to pedestrians.

         I will post another entry for this trip later this week, once I settle down and get the week going.  Stay warm in the coming cold, and since you will most likely spend a lot of time indoors in the coming weeks and months, why not write?  *Smile*





Jim Dorrell

© Copyright 2017 Sum1 (UN: jim-d at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sum1 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/925455-Frankfurt-First-Full-Day