*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
5
6
7
8
9
10
12
13
14
15
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/926868-Thankful-Thursday-Thankful---An-Acrostic-Prose-Entry
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #1649240
Gratitude breaks the spell of Writers Block
#926868 added January 11, 2018 at 11:40pm
Restrictions: None
Thankful Thursday: Thankful - An Acrostic Prose Entry
Istijlál (Majesty), 13 Sharaf (Honor) 174 B.E. - Thursday, January 11, 2018

Thankful

Thinking about the components of happiness and contentment, I realize that gratitude is only one of the ingredients. True, gratitude constitutes a large element in happiness, but there are other ingredients that are just as important. Happiness is like an exquisite tasting bowl of homemade stew, all the ingredients combine to give it flavor.


Hope, faith, love, and sadness are four of the ingredients to happiness. I know many people do not think that sadness or sorrow contribute to happiness or contentment, because those two emotions appear to be anonymous. Yet there are many times in a person's life when these opposites reveal a period of joy just experienced, or precede a period of contentment. Therefore, I think, one should be grateful for the sorrow encountered, which is a part of living on the material or physical plane.


As I contemplate the events of 2017, consider the people in my life, and think about the ways I have expressed gratitude. I realize that I can do a better job of saying thank you to everyone who was in my life for passed through it. I do not have to say thank you in words, I can do it with a smile, a random act of kindness, or simply by listening to the other person's problems. While I may not be able to solve the problems, I can listen attentively.


Now that I new Gregorian year has begun, I think about the changes that have taken place in my life since I declared my belief in Baha'u'llah. Despite the difficulties I've encountered over the past several years, I've remained a member of the Baha'i Faith. I'm thankful for the changes in my opinions and point of view since declaring my faith. I'm thankful that I've remained a Baha'i. I'm thankful that I found out about Baha'u'llah when I did because I know without Him my life would be different today.


Knowledge of the value of life is another component of gratitude. I didn't realize this until I read "Flexing the Muscle of Gratitude within Our Families" by Deanne LaRue.1 In this article, Ms LaRue quoted a comment from another article she wrote. I had to stop, and think about this idea. After a few minutes, I realized that it is true because understanding the value of life is positive and energizing.


Faith in God, and in His Holiness Christ, was a part of my childhood. I was baptized into as a Southern Baptist when I was a child. Events in my life and some of the religious dogma came between me and the church, but I never stopped loving Christ. That is something else to be grateful for because, I believe, it helped me accept Baha'u'llah. I'm grateful for the religious instruction I received as a child. I'm grateful for everything that helped me discover Baha'u'llah, and accept Him as the promised one of all religions. As Christ Returned in the Father's Glory.


Upon waking each morning, I have a specific routine or morning ritual I go through. Part of that routine includes prayer, and chanting the Greatest Name2. Part of that routine has changed because I purchased a brace for my left leg, which helps keep down the swelling. I'm grateful that I was able to afford the brace because my insurance wouldn't pay for it. However, putting the brace on has disrupted the old routine, and I haven't quite gotten into the new one yet. I'll that down pat (excuse the cliche) by the end of January. Still it's pushing me to change the old habit, which I'm thankful for.


Last night, I changed my evening routine. Instead of saying the usually evening prayer, I said another prayer revealed by Baha'u'llah. It was a prayer for detachment, and it was longer then the evening prayer I usually read or recite. I'm thankful that I changed my evening routine because I noticed I need to be a bit more prepared fro my evening prayers. In this case, I have to turn out the kitchen light before I lay down in my recliner, if I don't than I interrupt the prayer and meditation by getting up to do it. I'm grateful for this lesson because it taught me something about making spiritual preparation for retiring at night.


Footnotes
1  http://bahaiteachings.org/flexing-muscle-gratitude-within-families
2  "Bicentenary Poems and Prose "Chanting The Greatest Name


© Copyright 2018 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/926868-Thankful-Thursday-Thankful---An-Acrostic-Prose-Entry