*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
4
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/931083-MomDadMe
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#931083 added April 26, 2018 at 9:33pm
Restrictions: None
Mom+Dad=Me
Talk Tuesday! What's something you do because your parents did it? And what something you don't do because your parents did it?
         So, now we're discussing how my parents shaped me, molded me, influenced, and even possibly scarred me? What have I become?
         I am the experimental child, the one my parents nurtured/tolerated , rightly, or wrongly. I set the bar for the other three. If I survived, my siblings were most likely to follow suit.
         Huh, supposedly I was a late, reluctant, do-I-have-to type of walker who preferred to be carried everywhere. I took my first tentative steps when I was eighteen months of age, and I cannot claim to have mastered walking to this day. I was an early and non-stop talker though. I defied the baby book wisdom and loved veggies, but perversely hated fruit. Basically, I trained my parents to go with the flow, and accept me as I am.
         My father was the cook of the family and his one rule was that we had to at least try/taste everything. Onions, garlic, tabasco, peppers, curry, octopus, whatever, if it was served, it was supper. Maybe we actually leaned more to take it, or leave it. Yeah, I followed suit with my three. I am an adventurous eater thanks to my Dad. He provided me with a cast iron stomach; no heartburn or acid indigestion, or morning sickness, ever. My kids will eat almost anything, but they have drawn a firm line in the sand and refuse to eat beans, and raisins. I guess that's not too bad.
         Both of my parents were avid readers. I inherited, or copied this trait. I read to my offspring until they chose to make reading a personal habit.
         My father was a smoker when I was a young child. I loved the smell of his tobacco smoke, and I'd sit spellbound as he tapped, and then restuffed his pipe. Eventually, he gave up smoking. I experimented with one package of cigarettes that I shared with my teenage pals before I decided that smoking wasn't for me. Dad also liked his beer on hot summer days. Me, I have never tolerated the aroma and taste of beer....blech!
         My Mother was more of a reserved person, and she taught me to never talk to strangers. I took this as a challenge instead. I will and do speak with anyone and everyone. People are fascinating!
         Probably it was born of a need to be cautious and careful, and a hard won lesson, but Mom could be negative. She preached look before you leap, and think twice before you act. Sometimes, she sounded like a pessimist who foresaw the worst happening, a disaster in the making. She was not really an explorer or adventure-seeker. She was comfortable with her routine. Some of my best trips/vacations have been spontaneous. No pre-planned destination, no clear sleeping arrangements, no worries about food, just jump in the car and drive.

© Copyright 2018 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/931083-MomDadMe