*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/932574-Too-Many-Toys
Rated: E · Book · Personal · #2147746
Gettin' to know me.
#932574 added April 11, 2018 at 12:38pm
Restrictions: None
Too. Many. Toys!
** Image ID #2155155 Unavailable **

Two of my redheaded minions recently had birthdays. I always get a little...overexcited...when it comes to birthdays. I want to buy them everything they've squealed about for the past year. I usually end up spending too much money but it's worth it, wrapping those presents and watching the glow in the eyes of the birthday boy or girl.
They love everything they open.

Until the next day.

And then, all of a sudden, the glow is gone. The new baby doll or Batman figurine lays discarded on the floor.

"Pick up your toys," I tell them.

"We don't want to," they whine back. "We don't like this toy anymore!"

Really? After less than 24 hours you're done with this toy?

Sheesh, I remember getting toys when I was young. I cherished them. Appreciated them. Played with them until they broke or got lost. Needless to say, I'm a bit peeved at the ungrateful attitude of some of my kids.
And the more I think about it, the more I realize something needs to change!

So instead of a pile of presents I think we'll tone it down to one special gift. I'll also be adding a certain amount of moolah to their savings account and I'm debating about putting "x" amount of dollars into a Family Birthday Fund. We never have the money to go on vacation as a family, so this could give us the funds we need to do at least one special thing together every year.

And, of course, they'll get *Cake2* and *Icecreamv*.

Any other ideas on how to simplify birthdays and/or create a more appreciative attitude in children?


© Copyright 2018 Genipher (UN: geniphery at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Genipher has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/932574-Too-Many-Toys