*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/936296-Thankful-Thursday-Pondering-Gratitude-and-Gratitude-Lists
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing.Com · #1806613
The Saga of Prosperous Snow Continues
#936296 added June 14, 2018 at 11:45am
Restrictions: None
Thankful Thursday: Pondering Gratitude and Gratitude Lists
Entry six of ten for "The Bard's Hall Contest.

"Do you realize how much you should thank God for His blessings? If you should thank Him a thousand times with each breath, it would not be sufficient."
Abdu’l-Baha1

I give praise and gratitude
the the Almighty
by intoning prayers imparted
by Baha'u'llah,
The Bab,
or 'Abdu'l-Baha.


I have made a gratitude list every Thursday for several years. Most of the time I list ten blessings I have received over the past week. In the past few weeks I have cut the list down to nine things, I no idea why I cut the list down to nine, because ten was the suggestion when I originally started the Thankful Thursday list. When I think about it, giving thanks one day a week is just as inadequate as placing only nine or ten things on my gratitude list.

Morning, noon, and night
I give thanks to the All-Glorious Lord
with prayer revealed by the Holy Spirit.

Today, I am changing the way I make my Thankful Thursday list. Last week, I read an article by Kathy Roman, on BahaiTeachings.org, called " The Power of Preemptive Gratitude"2. After thinking about the article--and attempting, somewhat inadequately, to express both preemptive and regular gratitude in my own words--I have decided to make a preemptive gratitude list every Thursday. This way, when I read the gratitude prayers, revealed by the Holy Spirit to the Central Figures, I have a list to focus on. I will also make a regular gratitude list so that I have received blessing to list.

The Lord
already know my needs,
a list helps my mind focus.

As I ponder making the list, it appears selfish. All my life I have found it difficult to ask the Creator for what I need. I think it was drilled into me in childhood, that I am not supposed to ask the Lord for my needs because God already knows. However, after reading and meditating on the scriptures I realize that we (human beings) are supposed to ask because that is placing the needs into the hands of the Almighty. In addition, I realize that the prayers in my prayer book are unselfish prayer revealed through the Holy Spirit.

I make my gratitude list in "Writing in Snow because it usually takes me all day to make the list. This is today's list "Thankful Thursday: Gratitude List for June 14, 2018, which may take me all day to complete.

Footnotes
1  The Promulgation of Universal Peace, p. 187.
2  http://bahaiteachings.org/power-preemptive-gratitude


© Copyright 2018 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/936296-Thankful-Thursday-Pondering-Gratitude-and-Gratitude-Lists