*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/940347-Art-in-the-Modern-World---Image-One
by Emily
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2166092
A blog to house my musings, curiosities, and fascinations.
#940347 added August 26, 2018 at 12:44am
Restrictions: None
"Art" in the Modern World - Image One
My mother majored in Art History in college and thus has lots of useful (and not so useful) art knowledge at her disposal. While dropping my sister at college, we came upon this empty display case on the wall that prompted a discussion of Contemporary Art, and what even makes something art in the first place? This spurred my own curiosity to explore this topic further and observe the "art" in everyday scenes. Everything has meaning if the viewer gives it meaning. And so, this blog post will be the first in potentially a series of posts exploring the artistic aspects of the world around us. I'm not an "art" aficionado, so please add your own interpretations in the comments below. *Smile*

Contemporary Art - A Satire
An ironic commentary on "art" in our modern word
Piece One

For "Contemporary Art - A Satire"

The artist of this piece depicts the inaccessible. The piece represents that which is restricted and locked, yet, on display for public viewing. The softness of the carpeted background contrasts with the rigidity of the frame, leaving the viewer feeling unsettled and off-balanced. The lone tack holds nothing and is perceived at first to be useless. However, as the only item within the frame, the viewer is left pondering the deeper significance of its placement and color. While attempting to reason the purpose of the lone tack, the viewer comes to see themselves in the mirrored, reflective glass surface, and the true meaning of the piece becomes clear. The piece is a representation of the viewer themselves. They view a ghostly hologram of themselves in the surface of the piece and realize it is their very self that is restricted yet exhibited. The three-dimensional aspect of the piece allows it to come out toward the viewer, enhancing this effect.

~ ~ ~


Any other interpretations you can see in this piece? *Laugh*

© Copyright 2018 Emily (UN: hawaiifoeva at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Emily has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/940347-Art-in-the-Modern-World---Image-One