*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/941702-Loveland-Colorado
by Sum1
Rated: E · Book · Travel · #1779685
I travel the country on business, sometimes the world. Come see where I've been.
#941702 added September 19, 2018 at 8:47pm
Restrictions: None
Loveland, Colorado
Date: Week of September 10th


Locale:  Loveland, Colorado


         This week finds me in Loveland, Colorado for another class with the Western Area Power Administration.  It's the same class I've delivered in Bismarck, ND and Watertown, SD.  Loveland is quite close to Denver (~50 miles), and since I'm in Denver next week, I planned on staying out west the whole time.


         The class itself went fine, but it was the journey here that made it special.  As mentioned in a previous entry, I visited the site of Bonnie & Clyde's last bank robbery, the Freedom Rock (3rd visit), and the Golden Spike tower in North Platte Nebraska.  I did manage to find a couple of excellent restaurants here in Loveland, and even had a little time to get into the mountains.  I wanted to see a 'Tiny Home' village, but was disappointed to find it's now a tiny home resort of sorts.  I also went to Estes Park to see 'The Stanley' hotel.  Stephen King and his wife stayed a night here in 1973, and it became the inspiration for his novel, "The Shining".  I really wanted to walk in the place and stroll down a hallway, but it's gated, only registered guests or those registering can get past.  *Frown*  To be honest, I didn't try to get past, I saw the gate and figured I'd not even try.  Go ahead, you can call me "Chicken!".  *Smile*


Noteworthy Restaurants:


         Smokin Fins          http://finsconcepts.com/smokin-fins-menu/  This place was so good the first time that I went back for a repeat visit!  Excellent seafood.  Their Lobster Stuffed Fried Avocado is something you really have to try....  Not only that, but the Southwest Poki Bowl is excellent too.


Photo's From Visit:


The Stanley Hotel



Historic/Interesting Places Visited:

         The Golden Spike Tower          https://goldenspiketower.com/  This is one for Railroad Buffs, and anyone who enjoys interesting sites.  This Union Pacific Railroad Yard (Bailey Railyard) processes over 10,000 rail cars a day!  Sort of like a sorting place for Union Pacific trains.


         Freedom Rock          https://www.thefreedomrock.com/  Artist Bubba Sorenson paints a new mural on the ~60 Ton rock every year.  Each mural honors American Veterans in one way or another.  I've been fortunate enough to visit it three times.  I know, some of you are saying, "visit a rock three times?"



In Closing

         I will spend the weekend in NW New Mexico, staying in Farmington while I visit the 'Shiprock' rock formation, Four Corners, and Mesa Verde.  Til next time, be good to yourselves and those you love, and WRITE!

© Copyright 2018 Sum1 (UN: jim-d at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sum1 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/941702-Loveland-Colorado