*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/942835-October-6---CONTEST-ROUND---Protagonist-Background-Story
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #2170754
My project for 2018....Arlynn's Way
#942835 added October 6, 2018 at 2:13pm
Restrictions: None
October 6 - CONTEST ROUND - Protagonist Background Story
Oct. 06: - CONTEST ROUND: Protagonist Background Story β–Ό
Write a story about your protagonist that takes place outside of your novel. Make your readers relate to him or her in such a way that we would be devastated if he or she were to experience conflict (which, ultimately, sometime in November, he/she will.) The object of the contest is to make your judges root for your protagonist! Simply put: the character we like best wins. If your protagonist is a drug dealer or someone similarly "unlikeable" (a.k.a, an "anti-hero"), never fear! I love Vlad Taltos, the professional assassin. You can make us love your character, too.

*Contest Round entries may be any rating. Submit your ITEM or ENTRY number by 1200 noon WDC time on Sunday to compete. WDC time is New York City time and can be found at the top of the IM Console. If you miss this deadline or choose not to compete, you must still log the assignment complete (without linking your work) for the grand prize, per the standard Prep guidelines.




I'd been looking for a place to really feel like I belonged for a long time... probably since my parents were killed in that car crash just after my 13th birthday. Everything changed then.

My family was great. My grandparents came to live with me at the house and then when the weather got nicer, I moved back out to their farm while the house was sold. My aunt Stephanie and Uncle Tony took me in after school finished and we spent the first two months living at their cottage outside of Bracebridge.

Despite everything that was going on, that was a good summer. My friend, Emily never left my side. We had always been close, but that summer seemed to link us together in ways I still can't explain.

My aunt and uncle had just had their first baby, Nick and that helped. Having a baby around seemed to lift some of the gloom of my parents going.

In the fall, I returned with my aunt and uncle to their town and I started grade nine in a sea of uncertainty. Guelph was so much bigger than New Liskeard and Bracebridge combined.... though it was still considered small. I felt lost and unsure... except when I was in art class.

In the fall after I finished high school I took a plunge. With Emily by my side we headed into the Big City to study at the Ontario College of Art. Despite the overwhelming size of the city, I started to feel like I could really belong there.
Emily and I had completed two years, when I decided to take a summer internship at McKale and Plummer. I wanted to put my graphic arts skills to the test and see how I could do outside of school. Emily was not going to stay. She was going to be working in Dierdre's Studio and Gallery where we had both been working the last two summers. I wanted to try something different.

At first being in the city without Emily was a bit overwhelming, but the more I focused on the job I had, the more I relaxed into the routine, of sorts. I learned a lot and felt pretty good about myself.

The second weekend after Emily had gone home I got invited to a party. a kind of work party. It was after work. Some of my colleagues were heading out to a bar not far from the office. It was something they often did to let off steam and celebrate the weekend. I, being young and wanting to fit in, decided I would tag along. Besides the first weekend without Emily had been too quiet. I had spent most of it working on my own projects which was great, but I wanted more. This seemed to promise more.

The bar was nice. I was glad I had tagged along with Sheila. She loved the nightlife in the city ad was only too happy to show me the ropes.

Our group grabbed a group of tables in the bar area and I ordered a beer like everyone else. I wasn't one for drinking much, but I also didn't want to seem like a prude for not partaking in any alcohol. Unlike some of the others, I didn't drink too much.

About half our group ordered some food and I decided that was better as I was famished and, though Sheila did not order, anything she picked off my plate. I did not really mind. Emily and I used to do this all the time... but we would share the cost. Instead, she told me about a dance club she loved to go to and invited me to tag along.

Sheila had dipped off to the washroom to change into a skimpy mini skirt and tied her top to give herself a more casual feel. When she asked if I wanted to go home and change I had declined.

"I don't have anything so... dressy." I told her. Just my jeans from casual dress day. She'd laughed it off and shrugged, telling me I really needed to buy a few more sexy outfits.

"You can't attract men wearing... just any old thing."

I tried not to take offense.

When she invited me out to go shopping the next day I decided that a little more sexy might be in order, though I doubted the extremely short mini skirt was my thing.

We took a cab down to the old warehouse area of the city. The club was in one of them. Dull and boring on the outside, but inside it was alive with flashing lights and heavy beats. I felt drawn in. Sheila lead us through to the bar where she ordered us both some oddly blue concoction of spirits that tasted very sweet. Sheila downed hers, but I sipped and did not feel bad when we abandoned them for the dance floor.

The music was throbbing and visceral. I felt empowered and free.

Later when we took a walk around the place I spotted a young guy dressed in a suit. He seemed to be watching me and I felt oddly embraced, yet also intrigued. When I pointed him out to Sheila she had laughed saying all kinds of guys came here.
"You don't see too many in suits, but hey, it takes all kinds."

About a half an hour later, Sheila had abandoned me to go dance with some guy. I had watched them on the dance floor, but had turned away after their dance moves became a little too intimate for my viewing. They could have easily made it onto the Dirty Dancing stage. When I had turned to move away I bumped into the guy in the suit.

"Oh, I'm sorry." I muttered looking up into his rather handsome face. He looked even better up close. And his smile was warm and friendly. His eyes seemed to dance in the sparkle of the club's lighting. His hair fell forward over his forehead as he leaned down to tell me it was alright.

"Are you enjoying yourself?" he asked looking straight into my eyes after we introduced ourselves.

I felt a flutter of awareness as I smiled up at him. I did not trust my voice.

"Do you come here often?" he asked.

"It's my first time. I don't usually come out to clubs like these."

"No?"

"No. My usual crowd doesn't hang out here." I told him. "I usually hang out at the cafes around school."

"School?" his face took on a questioning looked and I laughed lightly.

"I just finished my second year at the Ontario College of Art."

"Ah, I see. University, then."

I nodded.

"And you've never been out to The Warehouse before?"

I shook my head, then added, "I've lived a sheltered life."

He smiled at that and I could feel my knees weaken. He had such a glorious smile.

"So, you have lived in Toronto for... two years?"

"Well, two school years. I went up to my aunt and uncle's cottage last summer to work, but this year I decided to stay in the city. I got myself an internship..." I stopped myself at that point, not wanting to blather on about myself. Instead I smiled up and said, "What about you?"

He smiled back, then said, β€œI came to Toronto a few years ago myself. I finished university and wanted to get some real-life experience."

"What is it you do?"

"I work on Bay street. In a brokerage firm."

I nodded, smiling again. "Hence the suit."

He nodded and smiled, "Hence the suit." he glanced over at where Sheila was still dancing provocatively with her guy. When he looked back at me he asked, "Would you like to get a drink. Sit and talk?"

I found myself agreeing. This guy seemed harmless and he was so deliciously attractive I could hardly believe my luck. I glanced over at Sheila who had undoubtedly forgotten that I was there, then I lead the way to the closest bar with Lance close behind.

The rest of the evening was rather lovely. Lance bought us drinks and managed to find us a quieter corner where we could talk. The more we talked the more my interest in him grew. Before I went off to find Sheila again, Lance asked if he could see me again.

"Dinner, next week. Are you free next Saturday?"

I could not help, but accept. "That would be nice."

He gave me his card and I gave him my phone number. Then he took me back to the dance area where Sheila was dancing, but with a different guy. When she saw me, she left the dance floor and headed straight over.

"Hey, where did you get off to?" she asked looking suspiciously over at Lance.

"I was just having a drink with Lance." I introduced them. Sheila did not look impressed.

Lance excused himself and headed off. I watched him weave his way through the crowd. Then Sheila dragged me off to the ladies’ room.

"You don't just go off with strange men." she told me rather miffed.

"He wasn't strange. He was nice. He invited me out to dinner next Saturday. Gave me his business card and everything. A gentleman."

Sheila stared at me a moment, then gave a laugh and seemed to shake it all off. "We need another drink and some more dancing."

This time she let me buy. I got her one of those odd blue drinks she seemed to like, but for me I asked for pop. Feeling a little foolish, I muttered that I was designated driver and the bartender smiled.

Sheila stayed close to me for the rest of the night. We danced and she drank. Later when we went home I paid for the cab, because she got out first.

Just before she slammed the door she said she would call me in the morning, but not before eleven. We'd go shopping like she'd promised.

I fell into bed that night feeling like I was on my way. I felt sure this was where I belonged.


Thoughts

Officially approved Writing.Com Preferred Author logo.

** Image ID #1855238 Unavailable ** My owl signature from Gemini Gem. Winter trail scene
© Copyright 2018 πŸ’™ Carly (UN: carly1967 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
πŸ’™ Carly has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/942835-October-6---CONTEST-ROUND---Protagonist-Background-Story