*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/943446-October-15---SettingCultural-Setting
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #2170754
My project for 2018....Arlynn's Way
#943446 added October 14, 2018 at 10:40pm
Restrictions: None
October 15 - Setting:Cultural Setting
Oct. 15: - Setting: Cultural Setting ▼
Describe the cultural, political and/or religious setting in your novel, regardless of whether the cultural setting is fictional, historical, or modern.


(1) What do your societies believe?


(2) In what practices do they engage?


(3) What laws or rules of society are in place?


(4) Who/what enforces the laws and rules and how successful are they?


(5) What technologies are in use?
I need to research certain aspects regarding living off the grid - solar power. And what about internet connections and cell phone use - does it have to be satellite?

(6) How does the setting impact your protagonist(s) in their pre-story lives?
Arlynn is a small town girl - she grows up in a northern Ontario town and has spent time living on her grandparents farm that is without electricity or indoor plumbing. Her grandparents also had no car, but did have a weekly cab booked to come out to get them on Fridays.
Cottage Country (an amalgamation of Bracebridge, Gravenhurst and Huntsville) is a place where she and her family have been going for as long as she can remember. It is the place she spends her summers from at least the age of 6 (when she meets Emily at a art workshop at Deirdre's Art Studio and Gallery). It is around the age of 6 that her parents and her aunt and uncle purchase land and build their cottage (out on Kempsie Road).
After her parents car crash she lives with her aunt Stephanie and Uncle Tony in a small town in southern Ontario (Guelph).
The Big City (Toronto) is where she and Emily attend university at the Ontario College of Art and Design.

(7) How does the setting impact the plot of your story?
Setting has a role to play. The Big City (Toronto) is large and at times overwhelming for Arlynn. There are elements she comes up against (betrayals - unfaithfulness and thievery) that are not present in the much smaller Cottage country setting that she eventually goes to. The concept of belonging is one of my themes and the setting plays a part in that as she does not belong in the Big City, she does belong in the smaller, more intimate Cottage Country setting.


Officially approved Writing.Com Preferred Author logo.

** Image ID #1855238 Unavailable ** My owl signature from Gemini Gem. Winter trail scene
© Copyright 2018 💙 Carly (UN: carly1967 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
💙 Carly has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/943446-October-15---SettingCultural-Setting