*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/947730-Christmas-Traditions
by Tanith
Rated: E · Book · Writing.Com · #2135844
With coffee and writing implements at hand, I can determine the shape of today.
#947730 added December 18, 2018 at 8:01am
Restrictions: None
Christmas Traditions
After several days off from work, I'm headed back for one last busy stretch before Christmas.

I'd normally have my tree up and everything ready by now, but this year I'm lagging behind. I'll have to work the tree in between work and other concerns. Part of it is I'm trying to be mindful of Dad's needs...the tree's gonna create some extra clutter in an already cluttered living room. The other part is that my heart is just not in it this year.

Truth be told, if it were not for Mom's ornaments, I wouldn't even bother with the project. Years of retail work ruined Christmas for me, and it's taking a while to shake off that cynicism and remember why the holiday is such a joy. But even when Mom passed in '86 I made a point of putting the tree up (something I feel confident she would have approved of), and have done so every single year since. They are old, some are faded, but to me her ornaments are more valuable than the Crown Jewels. So yes, though it will be tight, I will get that tree up.

And to paraphrase C. S. Lewis...I won't let the memory of bad Christmas profiteering spoil the joy of good Christmas memories.

© Copyright 2018 Tanith (UN: tanith49 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Tanith has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/947730-Christmas-Traditions