*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/948194-Is-It-Over-Already
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#948194 added December 25, 2018 at 10:45pm
Restrictions: None
Is It Over Already?
         Every year, we wait, we anticipate, we prepare. Then, Slam, Bang! It's over, There's nothing left but the crumbs on the floor, and some crayons under the furniture. Oh, and the big plastic bags of wadded up gift wrap and toy packaging.

         I'm wearing new slippers as I type this. It took about 5 minutes once the kids started opening packages. They opened things that weren't theirs. Then we had to figure out who had purchased it, and for whom it was intended. Surprisingly, the favored gifts were not newly purchased

         . My late brother collected Hot Wheels. He left thousands of them. There are lots of collectors around, but unfortunately, the cars have not built up any value yet. My dad has given out some loose ones and some still in original packaging, reducing our totals by quite a bit. Today, he gave the three year old, who loves little cars, a carrying case filled with Hot Wheels. He wanted to abandon everything else and play with them. They wanted to make sure he got home with these older cars, since I do have other playthings at my house. So he cried when they put them in the car before he lost them all. He then got some new cars of another brand to distract him.

         Dad had gone through the dresser drawers in his room and found a tin box of what he thought was Mom's jewelry. He gave it to me last Sunday as my "Christmas present". I determined that it was all broken or single earrings, and very retro. Two necklaces I would use, even retro, but they need new clasps. One short chain with a sea shell was in good shape. It didn't seem expensive, and could pass for a child's necklace. I gave it to the first grader. She liked it and put it in her pocket. But her mother went down memory lane. She recalled sitting on Grandma's bed and going through her jewelry box and picking out what she wanted someday. She and her sister reminisced about this time with Grandma when they were small with big smiles on their faces. I remember doing the same thing with my mother's mother, but I didn't take away from their moment. It was a pleasant memory for them.

         I was relieved when everyone left, and I could tidy up a little. I'll vacuum tomorrow. I sat down and napped for almost an hour. When I woke up it wasn't late, but too late to go to a movie. The day was over already. I feel free now. I can settle into a normal routine. At the same time I miss them. I worry about my sick brother who struggled to be here and had to change oxygen tanks. It's kind of disappointing that it's all done now or almost. We'll sing Christmas carols at church on Sunday. Advent ended Christmas Eve and the church calendar celebrates 12 days. Even for believers, it becomes more somber and personal at this point. Family and hoopla wind down. We know that we'll do it all again next year.

© Copyright 2018 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/948194-Is-It-Over-Already