*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/950932-Maricopa-County-Arizona-Week-1
by Sum1
Rated: E · Book · Travel · #1779685
I travel the country on business, sometimes the world. Come see where I've been.
#950932 added February 1, 2019 at 8:55pm
Restrictions: None
Maricopa County Arizona, Week 1
Date: Week of January 27th


Locale: Phoenix, Arizona


         This week finds me in Maricopa County Arizona (Phoenix), for a class I haven't taught in over 7 years!  It's changed a lot since then, and I put in a lot of time preparing for the class.  I knew the first week would be a bit tough, and it was.....


         Overall the class went decently well, but not as well as it could have, or should have.  I stumbled over a one of the hands-on activities, and found myself a little on edge Monday and Tuesday.  I talked to myself a bit Tuesday night, and by Wednesday morning I'd relaxed enough to feel good about things.  Then came that stumble on Thursday....  The important thing is, I lived, they all lived, everyone learned something, and that little stumble won't happen again.  I teach the same class to them (new students next week, and know it will flow much better than this one did.

         While Maricopa County is the customer this week, I'm actually in the city of Phoenix.  As all of you know, this was a great week to not be in Illinois.  It was -25 at home on Tuesday night, and below zero from that point, until mid morning yesterday.  All in all, about 48 hours of below zero weather.  Meanwhile, I am here in Phoenix where it's been in the 60's and 70's all week.  Talk about being lucky!  I made sure to thank the students for having me here this week, even though they had nothing to do with me being scheduled here.  *Smile*


Noteworthy Restaurants:


         Bluewater Grill          https://www.bluewatergrill.com/locations/phoenix#menu=dinner  You would think that in going to an excellent seafood restaurant like this that I'd order seafood.  And I did, in a way.  Their New England Clam Chowder is excellent.  Plus, I was in the mood for a salad, so chose their Seafood Louie Salad.  Mixed lettuce, diced tomatoes, cucumber, egg, avocado with San Francisco Louie dressing, red rock crab and bay shrimp.  Can you say Yummm?


         Richardson's Cuisine Of New Mexico          http://www.richardsonsnm.com/dinner-menu/  There is no way I could be in the Southwest and not eat food from New Mexico, given the chance.  I have to go back though, because all I ordered was their Roasted Garlic Plate.  The menu describes it as this.  With green chile, roasted peppers, cheese & dipping sauces.  It doesn't say it's the size of a football field!  Seriously, this was a HUGE platter, with about 6-7 full cloves of Elephant Garlic.. a thin flour tortilla on the plate was totally obscured by the green chiles, cheese, onions, and sauces (red and green, or Christmas as it's called in New Mexico).  I have to go back and try something more, maybe twice more even?  Anyone care to join me?


         Organ Stop Pizza          https://www.organstoppizza.com/  I heard about this place while getting my hair cut Tuesday, and knew I had to see it.  The food is good, not fantastic, but the highlight is the person who sits on a stool at the organ, and plays the largest Wurlitzer Pipe Organ in the world!  Tonight, the organist played many songs, some hits, some soundtracks, all with no sheet music.  It's all in his head!  WOW....  Some of the songs were Mamma Mia, Bohemian Rhapsody, The Pink Panther, Take Five (Dave Brubeck Quartet), and others I can't remember.  It's quite the experience to be honest.  But you really have to be there to appreciate it.


Historic/Interesting Places Visited:

         McCormick-Stillman Railroad Park          https://www.therailroadpark.com/  This is one for Railroad Buffs, and anyone who enjoys interesting sites.  This is a museum, a play area for young and old, scale model railroad in a good sized building, and more.  For anyone who likes railroads even a little, this is a place for you to visit.  I spent over an hour there.  On the property is a couple of Pullman railcars.  From their website:  The Roald Amundsen Pullman Car was built in 1928 for $205,000. As one of the last cars built by the Pullman Company, the Roald Amundsen is best known for being used by every president from Herbert Hoover through Dwight Eisenhower (Harry S. Truman and Franklin D. Roosevelt were the other two) It was on this car in 1940 that President Franklin Roosevelt and Canadian Prime Minister W. L. McKenzie King signed the agreement that provided for the joint defense of North America, now known as NORAD. The car was donated to the park in 1971 by Mr. and Mrs. Franz Talley. The car has been placed on the National Historic Register.


In Closing

         I will spend the weekend here and teach the same class next week to a new group of students.  Stay tuned!  Til next time, be good to yourselves and those you love, and WRITE!



Jim Dorrell

© Copyright 2019 Sum1 (UN: jim-d at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sum1 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/950932-Maricopa-County-Arizona-Week-1