*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/952819-Day-23-Jackson-Browne---Running-on-Empty
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #2181860
For the Soundtrack of Your Life Challenge
#952819 added February 22, 2019 at 4:56pm
Restrictions: None
Day 23: Jackson Browne - Running on Empty
There was a time in my life, almost all of the first three decades of it, I moved all the time. I think before I graduated college, the longest I'd stayed anywhere was my high school years and a couple afterward in Philly. I'm not sure if that's what set the tone for the next few years in my life, but this is the song that might make you understand it a little.





Now, I'm aware I wasn't touring with a rock band, but I covered about three-quarters of the United States in this particular time frame. By the time I was done, I'd been to 47 out of 50 of them. I'm up to 49 now, so watch out North Dakota, I'm going to get you one day!

The line, "You know I don't even know what I'm hoping to find" makes a very honest statement. I thought I knew, but looking back, it wasn't true. I'm adding this song, the next on the album, to kind of reinforce what those years were like.





Again, so much of the lyrics fall into being a rock star on the road. For the most part, it isn't applicable. We didn't do cocaine in the afternoon -- for the most part -- due to low funds. But these words have serious meaning to me.

And when you stop to let 'em know, you've got it down
It's just another town along the road


It seemed like just when it was time to put down roots, we moved on. At first it was just me, but I got married, and then an extended family seemed to always be with us. Don't discount the fact I had a serious travelin' bone, but many times it just seemed like it was time to go. I was always up for an adventure!

© Copyright 2019 Mastiff (UN: mastiff at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Mastiff has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/952819-Day-23-Jackson-Browne---Running-on-Empty