*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/958071-Show-and-Tell-WHO
Rated: E · Book · Experience · #2050107
A Journal to impart knowledge and facts
#958071 added May 2, 2019 at 11:49am
Restrictions: None
Show and Tell WHO?
Remember bringing something from home for “Show and Tell” at school when we were little? Today, I want you to do the same in your blog. Pick an object that means something to you and describe it. What does it remind you of? How did the object come into your life? Does it bring you comfort? What is the story behind the object

Manx Cat from Japan Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/topics/tell
*Cat*

THE SAGA OF CHEECH


The story behind the object:

On July 3rd my daughter, K and I were on our way to a grocery store to pick up 4th of July yummies. We passed a cornfield that was already waist high. (old farmers saying: a good field of corn will be knee high by the 4th of July.) A dog sat on the edge of the field and when the car rolled by he jumped onto the road and followed us for a ways, (this is behavior indicative of a dumped dog). I started to proclaim about the dog. Why did it follow us? Is it lost? should we stop?

K was all, "no, no leave it there. We don't need any more dogs."

My daughter and I agreed if it was there when we returned we would become involved.

Well. He was there when we returned. Again he followed the car aways, but we kept going. At home we unloaded shopping bags. Then Rachel and I got out the spare leashes and got back in the car.

When we stopped at the corn field the dog would not approach all the way, just hovered when we called. He was very skid-dish. Rachel was determined so when he disappeared into the corn field she followed. We did all this tromping through the corn field with trepidation. We were not personally acquainted with the farmer and did not know how he would feel about someone walking up and down the corn rows following a dog.

Eventually, Rachel was able to drop a leash loop over his head. He was frightened and fought the leash some until we got to the car and opened the back door. At that point, he dropped down panting from the heat. The day was oppressively hot and worse because the ground was dry and dusty. He was bony and underfed. I just held the leash and let him rest. In a few minutes he got up and jumped in the back seat of the car by himself.

Just before we left I noticed a bowl of dog food and water at the end of one of the corn rows. Then another car stopped. An elderly lady rolled down her window and asked us what we were doing. She said we should leave the dog alone because the township would sent down a game warden with a gun. He would know what to do with the dog.

At home the dog wasn't fighting the leash anymore he followed docilely into the house. I settled him into a crate in the family room with water and kibble. In the next two days the food bowl was empty every time I went down to check. He went out on a leash and was glad to return to the family room. ON day two I just opened the crate so he could roam around.

In the meantime, I was able to speak on the phone, to the owner of the corn field. He said there were two dogs roaming the area for about two months. One of them came up missing and he was trying to make up to the one we took but, it was too frightened for him to approach. He wanted to know how we managed to catch it and what we would do with the dog? when I told him I had an appointment with the vet to have it checked out and neutered, then it would be living with us. He said it was OK and the corn field was not any worse for the wear.

I stopped at PET-SMART one day to buy a harness and collar. Every once in awhile there will be one awesome thing there, that is just right. Today was one of those days. Usually, I don't think of rhinestones in the context of a male dogs collar. But, when I saw this one I knew it was for Cheech. It is 21 inches long, 1 full inch wide, and black. The whole length is dotted with quarter inch rhinestones embedded with silver keepers. Between each rhinestone are two metal silver dots lining the outside edges of the leather. Eleven rhinestones, 24 silver dots.
Cheech had been wearing a hand me down collar. When I returned home I showed it to him and said, "This is your new collar." He laughed with a lolling tongue and licked my hand. He always was glad after a bath to have his collar back on.

By this time, Cheech had been neutered, had all his shots and was exhibiting some great characteristics. He loved all our other dogs and cats. He instantly became the leader of the pack. When I went to the barn in the dark he followed behind me and sat at my back and watched for ??? while I unlocked the barn door.

My son came over to the house one day without any knowledge that we had a new dog. Cheech chased him out the door. MY son managed to get back into the house and lock the dog in the bathroom. Cheech ripped the bottom of the door off trying to get out and finally managed to chase my son again. Nobody actually got hurt but I had to promise to let my son know if I got any more new dogs. *Laugh*

I never worried about the house or other pets, he always took care of other creatures. We had him 13 years. I don't know how old he was when we brought him home. He actually helped raise the little dog I have now.

He died one night of a stroke. I keep his collar on my big yellow stuffed bear. I always thought I would use it on another dog if I get a large dog. So far there are no candidates that need a rhinestone collar. P.S. The color of the collar was black the dog was gold.

In the last two weeks we have had two dogs running in the neighborhood who don't seem to belong to close neighbors. I'm sure they must belong to someone because they look well fed and clean, wearing plain brown leather collars. I hope who ever owns them realizes how many bad things can happen to dogs that get loose and run wild in the country.

*Dog1* *Dog2* *Dog1* *Dog2* Write On! *Dog1* *Dog2* *Dog1* *Dog2*














apondia#1781748






© Copyright 2019 Apondia (UN: judithd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Apondia has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/958071-Show-and-Tell-WHO