*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/958156-Who-Am-I-and-Who-Are-You
Rated: E · Book · Experience · #2050107
A Journal to impart knowledge and facts
#958156 added May 3, 2019 at 10:48am
Restrictions: None
Who Am I and Who Are You?
Tell us a fact about one of your ancestors. Where does your family come from? How far back can you trace your ancestry?

signature dancing owl Today's prompt has an added Blogging Tip. Kudos to Emily.


Some relatives on my father's side of the family produced a documented ancestry. I had a copy for awhile. When my oldest son was still living at home he requested to study it and I gave it to him. Since I haven't read it for some time (30 years is only a time estimate). Anything I remember may be subject to change or possibly wrong.

Anyway, I seem to recall something about English relatives, and Relatives who came over on the May Flower.

My grandfather once told me a story about his relatives who were chased out of some town, in a different state, for an unspoken reason. The story goes that they packed up wagons and possessions sent the women and children on ahead while the menfolk doubled back and burned all the crops and fields. MY grandmother was disgusted at him for telling me the story. He just laughed. Grandad liked to tell some odd stories while grinning like a Cheshire cat.

I once thought about looking up the relatives on my Mom's side of the family. I especially would like to know my Mother's, Mother's maiden name. I went as far as to find out, that if you can't afford Ancestry.com you can do research for free, from the USA Government. I never bothered to follow through.

There is an Oriole at my feeder this morning. Spring has Sprung.


Pre-environmental class showed me how to go into cemeteries and read headstones to find historical facts and figures. It was kind of fun because the cemetery we used for field work had a lot of civil war veterans buried in it.

I like life time stories of ancestors. How they lived. Where they settled. What made them tick. What would they think of the way we live now with high powered cars, drug wars, WIFI, Kindles, online shopping?

Land ownership is a big deal around this part of the country. For some reason people have a wild idea that they should take possession of property that may have been sold out of families 50 to 100 years ago.

(here is a story for a fact checker): I was told that the farm I own was bought by my great grandparents and given to my grandfather and his sister when my grandfather married. So, the land was split between the boy and his sister. My grandmother was college educated and taught music. MY grandfather's sister was a Doctor and sold her share of the land to my uncle, my dad's brother. Uncle was a farmer who farmed dairy cattle. When his house burned he moved his family to town and opened a paint store.

My dad bought my grandfathers share of the land from the family when grandad died. The story goes that originally, the land was one large piece that was owned by relatives of my mother? I never verified any of this in anyway.

Grandma told me her and grandad did not want to be farmers. Sometime in their life, they moved into the nearby town and the farm was the place for family gatherings on thanksgiving until my dad brought my brother and I here to live after my mom died. Sometime after I married and moved away, my Dad and step mother moved into town.

When my dad lived here he had a few dairy cattle for awhile but always worked in town at a local factory. when I moved back here we wanted to turn it into a horse stable. Eventually, that turned into raising sheep, dairy goats, children, and fowl.

Personally, I don't want to go anywhere else. I hope this is where I will be. Winters are not easy but watching spring return and summers make up for winter. It is wilder land now. More forest and less pastures. More wildlife. The road out front is still dirt.

K tells me if he outlives me he will have me cremated and throw the ashes on the land. *Laugh*

Merit Badge in Point of View
[Click For More Info]

Happy Birthday! Belatedly. I like your point of view *^*Bigsmile*^* ~Adrienne *DragonflyB*The desire to fly is an idea handed down to us by our ancestors who... looked enviously on the birds soaring freely through space... on the infinite highway of the air. Wilbur Wright
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/authors/wilbur_wright

















apondia#1781748






© Copyright 2019 Apondia (UN: judithd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Apondia has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/958156-Who-Am-I-and-Who-Are-You