*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/960423-Best-vacation-ever----England-with-friends
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #982524
Online journal capturing the moment and the memory of moments. A meadow meditation.
#960423 added June 9, 2019 at 12:00am
Restrictions: None
Best vacation ever ...¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ... England with friends
Best vacation ever ...¯\_(ツ)_/¯... England with friends

30DBC prompt: ... Tell us about your most memorable vacation!


In 2011 I made my first trip across the pond. I had made friends at WdC from many parts of the world. I decided to start in England.

Mavis met me at the airport in Manchester and treated me to a wonderful dinner reflecting her upbringing in Asia. I loved her two dogs and jackdaw and sitting looking over the cricket pitch.

She took me to Arbor Low with Julia and I was amazed at how old it was. To an American everything in England is old. Even her house was merely 400. I was introduced to longboats, Eyam the plague village, the Norman ruins of Peveril, Buxton (blue stone and springs) and Glossop (cheese), the knot gardens of Lyme Hall, and a heart-attack-on-a-plate a.k.a. a full English breakfast.

I was handed over to Scarlet who enticed me with roasted parsnips and chocolate. There were yellow duckies everywhere. We visited the minster at Southall, Lord Byron's estate, the ancient oaks of Sherwood Forest and Nottingham Castle where her mother once worked. I learned that I liked mushy peas more than chips when we visited Newark-on-Trent, although the fish was nice. She lives there now.

I got to visit Manchester during the Pride Parade. Pink Union Jacks and more queens than Liz has ever met. Amanda took me to the Cathedral of the Book, the John Rylands Library, and I had a scone with clotted cream. When I stayed over in Oldham her friend Charleigh made fresh cheese scones.

Then off to visit Ann in North Lincolnshire. Saw the Railway Museum and Yorkminster in York, the Lincoln Cathedral and the ruins of the Bishop's Palace, Stow minster, a bridge to nowhere, a ropery. And of course her own gardens and her sister Janet's barbecue.

Mavis and Julia fetched me and we were off to Cleethorpes. Before we left I was whisked away to Liverpool and the Tate And Slavery museums. I had crossed England from one sea to the other.

This was the Autumn of 2011. It was the best vacation ever. I don't expect to be totally pampered again! It helped me get the courage to visit Europe in 2012 and every year since.

Peace, Kåre
8.juni.2019
102.576

© Copyright 2019 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/960423-Best-vacation-ever----England-with-friends