*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/961773-Albuquerque-Home
by Sum1
Rated: E · Book · Travel · #1779685
I travel the country on business, sometimes the world. Come see where I've been.
#961773 added June 29, 2019 at 9:21pm
Restrictions: None
Albuquerque, Home!
Date: Week of June  24th


Locale: Albuquerque, New Mexico


         This week finds me in Albuquerque, New Mexico for a class with the Bureau Of Land Management.  While I have delivered several classes in New Mexico, I have never delivered one in the Duke City, the place I call home.  I spent 10 years of my childhood here going to school, it's where I graduated High School (West Mesa, Class of 72),  and despite the problems the city has, I love it there. 


         The class was a tailored class, combining three classes into one week.  If delivered fully, it would have been almost two weeks in length, but the price would have doubled.  Besides that, they didn't need a lot of the 'Death by Powerpoint' involved in so many course deliveries.  That was eliminated (I provided the Powerpoint materials in pdf file format for their future reference), and we worked with the software the whole week.  This worked well for them, and being typical technicians, they loved it.  In case you're wondering, we are currently working on modifying our approach deliver our classes in a manner similar to this, and not concentrating so much on Powerpoint Slides.

         Being home gave me a chance to connect with a few people, but sadly, my immediate family is no longer with us.  If I may bore you for a moment:

James Dorrell Sr. - January 28 1909 - September 6, 1971  (Age 62)
Frances Dorrell - April 10 1920, April 6 2013  (Age 92)
Olivia Anne Dorrell - September 23 1952 - September 26 2007  (Age 55)
Dennis Edward Dorrell - October 17 1956 - September 16 2009  (Age 53)
Terry Lee Dorrell - January 9 1960 - October 17 2017  (Age 57)


         I've long known that my father and siblings all passed relatively young (In their 50's and 60's), while my mother died in her early 90's.  I've decided I am like my mother....  *Smile*  So while I couldn't visit immediate family, I did manage to see my niece Diana, and reconnect with a couple of High School friends.

         I did not 'play tourist this week, so no interesting sights to speak of,  However, Monday when I was heading to work, look what I saw approaching my car!



         I had to be quick to snap his photo, and did so with my cellphone.  Sadly, the photo is not near as good as it should be.  And contrary to what we all 'learned' by watching Saturday morning cartoons in the 60's, a Roadrunner cannot outrun a Coyote.  The coyote is much faster....  I lived in this state for 10 years, and never saw one of these.  I did see one driving back to Illinois once after visiting my terminally ill brother, but it was a quick look, since it ran across the highway in front of me.


Noteworthy Restaurants:


         Tomasita's          https://tomasitas.com/menus/albuquerque-menu/    Being home, how could I resist a typical New Mexican dish?  I had to have their Chile Rellenos.  Two New Mexico chiles stuffed with cheese, covered with a bread crumb batter and served with green chile, rice, and beans.  Yummmmmm!


         Los Cuates          https://loscuatesrestaurants.com/pages/menu  For starters, I had their Ensalada De Guacamole, and an Indian Taco.  Even better than Tomasita's!


         Ponderosa Brewing Company          https://www.ponderosabrewing.net/food-menu/  This was a change of pace for me.  I love Micro-Breweries, and had to visit this one.  Very good food, though the Green Chile Cheeseburger fell apart a little while eating it.  I had a 'flight' of their beer, and it was excellent!


In Closing


         Well, because of the holiday, and an error with the schedule, I have the next four weeks with no delivery!  At least as of now.  I will be busy though, working on developing hands-on activities on a couple of new pieces of test equipment, and who knows what else?  Besides, the schedule could change, though I doubt it.  Til next time, be good to yourselves and those you love, and WRITE!



Jim Dorrell

© Copyright 2019 Sum1 (UN: jim-d at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sum1 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/961773-Albuquerque-Home