*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/968017-Is-the-Bible-a-historical-document
Rated: ASR · Book · Entertainment · #2202646
Jesus said, "Obey or I will kill you."( Luke 19:27)
#968017 added October 17, 2019 at 3:45pm
Restrictions: None
Is the Bible a historical document?

I asked my dad's brother Fr. Bob this question.
He said, "That depends on if you believe in miracles."
The Bible records historical locations and events.
But, do you believe God stopped the sun for Joshua?
Joshua and his army were winning the battle, but the sun was setting.
Joshua prayed to God to make the day longer, so he could slaughter the Amorite army.
The Sun rose back up and Joshua was victorious.

This is a miracle if the sun had risen backup the Earth's orbit would stop.
Mountains would fly off into space and the Earth arrested in its orbit would fall into the sun.
But, nothing is impossible for God in the Bible.

I'm reminded of the miracle of Fatima in Portugal.
On October 13, 1917, three children in Fatima Portugal said they were speaking to the Virgin Mary.
They predicted a great miracle of the Sun.
A great crowd assembled with reporters to witness the miracle of the Sun.
The people stood in the pouring rain.
The storm passed and the Sun appeared to ascend from the sky.
The people fell to their knees in the mud and beg the children to stop the Sun from falling.
They spoked to the Virgin Marry and the Sun returned to its place in the sky.

All the witnesses and the reporters stated their rain-soaked clothing had been dried.
Even the mud had dried up.
Perhaps, this was a close encounter with a UFO?
Did Joshua command a UFO to light the night sky?
I can accept this scenario, but fundamentalists believe it to be an act of God.
There are many different transcriptions of the Bible.
I have the Douay-Rheims version of the Bible because I was born into a Catholic family.
Most American Christians read the King James Version.

I wrote to the Reverend Pat Robison back in 1986.
I asked what was the difference between the King James Version and the Douay-Rheims Version.
He said the Douay-Rheims was originally written in Latin.
The King James Version was a translation into English so everyone could read it.
That was a reasonable answer from a Fundamentalist.
I think a lot of the miracles can be explained in UFO-logy.
An advanced race of extraterrestrials would seem like Angles and God's to primitive people.
The Mayans called them Sky Gods.

Reflections~Would you lose your faith if an ancient race of extraterrestrials revealed themselves?

)0(
=+=

Vertigo says hi!
© Copyright 2019 bob county (UN: muzzy43 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
bob county has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/968017-Is-the-Bible-a-historical-document