*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
4
6
10
11
12
13
14
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/980232-A-Mug-Or-Two
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#980232 added April 4, 2020 at 3:24pm
Restrictions: None
A Mug Or Two
APRIL 4 UNOFFICIAL PROMPT
by ~Dragon~ (644)

As we're staying #SaferAtHome, I hope you're all staying hydrated- whether that be with water or other liquids!
How many cups/glasses/mugs/etc do you have at home? Which is your favorite, and why? Tell us about how you got it.
         
         
         
         
         I will tell you that I no longer have wine glasses collecting dust. A lifetime ago, I received two sets of sparkling wine glasses and carafes as wedding gifts. They always felt extravagant and unnecessary to me. When she explored the house as a toddler, my eldest would tap the shelves displaying those delicate pieces just to hear the tinkling. They had to be wrapped and packed every time we moved, so at our final relocation I presented them to my youngest.
         I also do not possess much in the way of drinking glasses. For many years, I served beverages in plastic Tupperware tumblers. This did not happen because my children were rough and careless. No, I am the killer of glasses. Alas, they do not survive my hand-washing and some have bitten back creating a need for stitches. Again, as wedding gifts, the hubby and I were given six sets of glasses. Only a few stalwart members survived to celebrate our first anniversary. Glass is so delicate.
         With most mugs ,on average, I am a better keeper. That's not to say I haven't smashed a few by dropping them at inopportune moments. I store mugs at both my home and my camper. I feel they are much safer if I do not attempt to transport them between the seasons. One of my favourite cups suffered a horrendous demise one sunny day at camp. It had been a gift from my youngest daughter and featured a humorous caption with a moose. While carrying it filled to the rim with fresh, hot tea I executed a manoeuver known to most as exiting through a doorway. It did not go as planned. I still sense that an invisible entity pushed and or tripped me. That cup and I hurtled through the air. I crumpled to the ground bruised and battered. That poor mug struck the side of the trailer and shattered. Some of the neighbours probably assumed I'd thrown my tea in a fit of anger. I'm certain it all looked quite dramatic.
         As I type this blog, I sip tea from a tall mug gifted to me from my eldest grandgiggle, Sydney. I love the lettering on it, 'Be Yourself.' It's a two year veteran now.
         I refuse to count my venerable / vulnerable mugs. I don't want them to believe that their days are numbered. Three hang from a wall-mounted mug rack in my kitchen. They enjoy a sedentary life and they are free to partake of family gatherings from their safe perch. They are the only survivors of a set gifted to me by my deceased mother-in-law. Each one has a unique caricature face and they speak to my love of doodling/sketching. Viv knew I'd love them. I wish the Muppet character mugs she found for me were still with us. She drank her tea from them.
         I raise my mug of tea and clink it ever so gently with yours. Virtual toasts do not endanger my ceramic crew.

© Copyright 2020 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/980232-A-Mug-Or-Two